Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Buffalo grass problem

Danielle27
Just Starting Out

Buffalo grass problem

C3F8CED0-0FCF-4B4A-9A36-61963E2119C3.jpeg

Hi. My Buffalo was laid approx 14 months ago. In the last few months it’s increasingly looking ratty. The grass on top generally looks healthy but underneath it all looks dead and brown. And more recently, I think I may have a fungus problem as the normally healthy blades are going discolored. 

A6994CD4-1DF2-48C6-97CF-851591C01D04.jpeg

  

07BED64B-2D5C-4184-8B20-0E78FE3EC52D.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Buffalo grass problem

Hi @Danielle27,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your turf problem.

Looking at the photos it looks like a case of Bipolaris. It is a fungal infection caused by poor air movement in your turf. When the turf is continuously wet for more than 10 hours a day on consecutive days. Excessive thatch and loose-leaf clippings provide a source of food for the fungus. Too much fertilizer with heavy nitrogen content.

I recommend avoiding watering your turf too late in the evening. I suggest using your grass catcher at the back of your mower to reduce excessive thatch and leaf clippings. 

To treat the fungus, I suggest using Richgro 2.5kg Granular Sulphate Of Potash to increase the potassium levels in your garden.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects