Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can Merbau be sourced for less than 19mm thickness for a cladding project??

Backyardtradie
Building a Reputation

Can Merbau be sourced for less than 19mm thickness for a cladding project??

Hello renovators, 

I recently completed garden beds around the house with treated pine and steel posts. I have painted posts black and would like to keep them visible once I complete cladding outside.

I am looking for cladding options with thickness less than 19mm, as anything thick stands out compared to posts. 

1. What options do I have?? Only Merbau??

2. How can I color/stain/oil Merbau to give chestnut color to match the house door (chestnut on hardwood)?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can Merbau be sourced for less than 19mm thickness for a cladding project??

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Backyardtradie. It's terrific to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I apologise but I am not sure if I understand your question correctly. Does the cladding have something to do with the garden edging that you have already laid or are you planning to change the treated Pine edging for Merbau? What would you need the width to be of the cladding with a thickness less than 19mm? What are you cladding?

If you visit your local Bunnings store you will be able to see actual samples of timber that have been stained. The paint team member could possibly show you some examples which match a chestnut colour. If you can't visit a store then there are colour examples online such as the Cabots wood stain colour chart.

We look forward to hearing more details about your project and finding a solution to your question.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I should have explained myself better. 

I am not replacing pine sleepers but would like to dress them/clad them with Merbau-while retaining black posts. 

Since I am not covering black posts, I would like my Merbau to be of less thickness than the standard 19mm. I am putting more wood around wood-if it makes sense. 

Thanks

Hi @Backyardtradie,

I know we have Specrite 69 x 15mm x 2.7m Finger Jointed Merbau Screening available and its thickness is less than 19mm. If you were able to advise what width of timber at less than 19mm you were after I could see if there were any special order products available.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc for your reply and suggestion. 

The product you mentioned is not coming up, but I had this product as an option. I am happy with the thickness and I believe I can use this for the project. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-69-x-7mm-x-5-7m-finger-jointed-kiln-dried-merbau-edging_p006427...

Again my concern is the colour match. I have attached the photo of the house door that I am aiming to match the colour to i.e. Chestnut on the hardwood. 

I checked the wood stain colour chart and unable to find the closest match. Also, I noticed 50plus reviews on products review website about this stain- and it's not looking promising.

Can bunnings supply a sample stain for me to try on a piece of Merbau to check? 

Hi @Backyardtradie,

The issue you will find with staining timber is that each and every type of timber changes a different colour when that stain is applied. So, if you bought a chestnut stain and applied it to pine and then applied it to Merbau they would look completely different. This is why I suggest you visit your local Bunnings store and you'll be able to see actual samples of timber that have been stained. The paint team member could possibly show you some examples which match a chestnut colour.

If you had some Merbau timber I'm sure the paint team would be happy to apply a sample of the colour of your choice to it instore.

Mitchell

Great @MitchellMc . 

Going to the local bunnings with wood sample be the best option- only when we are allowed (currently under lockdown-VIC). 

Cheers

Mohit 

Quick question @MitchellMc 

Is Merbau the only option, or do i have other wood options for the project? 

I am after something that's between 70mm-90mm height and 8-12mm in thickness? 

Colour matching is a hard job with Merbau-as Cabot's suggested. 

Thanks

@Backyardtradie,

There is the Porta 90 x 12mm 1.2m Tasmanian Oak DAR Moulding (longer lengths can be ordered from our supplier) or the very close 65 x 12mm x 2.4m Tasmanian Oak DAR Select Grade.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects