Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Chopping up palm tree fronds

wrkshp
Just Starting Out

Chopping up palm tree fronds

I've recently moved into a new house with a huge palm tree in the front yard (20-30') which fairly regularly drops branches/fronds in windy weather. What is the best tool to chop these up to fit them in the garden waste bin?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Chopping up palm tree fronds

Hi @wrkshp,

Great to see you join in the discussion and make your first post on Workshop after being a member for so long. Welcome! 

Let me tag one of our most experienced members in @Noelle as I'm sure she will have some helpful advice for you. I take it the palm fronds can be very sharp? What tools have you been using? 

Looking forward to reading more about your home improvement projects at the new house. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Hi @wrkshp,

A sharp, well maintained pair of secateurs will be your friend. You might want to consider a ratchet type if you are having difficulty cutting through the fronds. 

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @wrkshp - is this your home or a rental? My last place (not a rental) had a previous owner who was an idiot about palm trees - I’m talking 21 of them in the backyard and another 8 out the front. You will definitely need at least ratchet pruners as @greygardener suggested, and possible a small chain saw - they are incredibly tough. Also, don’t want to scare you but if it’s windy and you have children, do NOT let them near that (those?) trees - they can drop fronds without warning - and from that height, can cause serious injury. I eventually spent $3,000 getting rid of mine, they were dangerous and an absolute nightmare for maintenance - which is why I asked if this was your own home. Cheers Deb

get yourself a mulcher, great little machines, make light work of throngs,
gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Hi @wrkshp 

I recall the night mare days in Darwin for 11 years of cleaning up palm fronds so I understand your pain 🤪

Totally agree about getting a ratchet type pruner.

An awesome suggestion was made by @TheSaltyreefer 

A mulcher if affordable is the perfect companion and makes light work.

I am a huge fan of Ryobi Tools. Here is one example of what is available at your local Bunnings Store Screenshot_20190825-023012.png

Screenshot_20190825-022958.png

Although I don't have one 😭😭😭😁 I know from using one in Darwin it is really a great investment and you can even use the end product as garden mulch.

All the best, 

Kind regards Rob 👍😁

I have a crushing shredder and it works.

You have to turn the adjustment wheel to the right when it is running, until there is a scraping noise, and it will produce useful mulch.

Any ideas about mulching the petiole - the big bit that attached to the tree?

I'm thinking of using a chainsaw to get it down to a size that fits into the crusher.

That would double the output if it works

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @MAC888. A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more of your posts soon. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects