Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cow animal planter

Jamespeter100
Making a Splash

Cow animal planter

A1A672EC-02C3-448C-B36D-26DC2AD5EA46.jpeg

These are made from pallet segments, but looking at making the cow planter, for starters.

Looked up cartoon pictures of cows. Cartoon designs I find look great, since hard to make realistic models with carving skills. 

635AA580-2DFE-43DA-9E82-EBF7D93811CE.jpeg

Design using pallets, but pallets can be hard to find. Often there are pallets for people to take that have been set aside for people. 
If there aren’t any suitable, like this with 11cm slats, there 110mm wide wood is listed. 

If narrower wood is used, apply a scaling factor.

Thought to check how many lengths of nice timber are needed, two. Four colours of paint, used the samples, and they are lasting. Would prefer UV stabilised exterior paints. I can write the numbers in. Forgot to add in the wood that gives the width. 

D0DC33D3-F090-4575-A1FD-96585A4FAEF6.jpeg

 Others may have other suggestions of wood from Bunnings that will look and perform for this model. Decking timber perhaps. 

Made some models for a market, to check if I could retire making models, cows sold for only $20, the sheep came home waging its tail, after not selling for $50. I’ll add up the total length of timber in the larger sheep. 

D16080B1-F3F4-4439-A7C9-DD013536E27E.jpeg

2EC3ADEF-9689-497F-BC34-B3C47601B20E.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Possible Easter project. Cow animal planter

Those are fantastic @Jamespeter100 and sure to add some life to any garden! I really like the cartoon appearance you've gone for. I'll need to build some of these, as my young daughter would love them.

Many thanks for sharing, as I trust it will inspire our members to get creative around their own gardens.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Loweja
Finding My Feet

I think I would have to actually attend a workshop on making these. They are really great and dont look all that hard but want to learn to do this kind of stuff.  LOL.  Im a beginner so will wait for a beginners workshop,

Well done. My Gkids would love them.  Did the sheep eventually sell?. 

HAPPY EASTER ALL

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Loweja. It's great that you've joined us and I hope you find plenty of ideas and inspiration for your own D.I.Y. projects through this community.

Let me tag @Jamespeter100 so that he's notified of your message. I wonder if you could share any extra tips on how you went about making these planters, @Jamespeter100?

Look forward to hearing about your plans for around the house and garden @Loweja. Please reach out to us with any questions along the way. We're here to help.

Stevie

Which one would you like more details on? When our daughter married and moved out, at 30yrs of afe, she took the planters I made for her as a child. 

In the elephant, now have an “Elephants foot plant”, it’s different to elephants ear plant. Another is a flying pig planter, not in this pic, of course,  it has a propeller plant. I’ll see if I can upload a movie of the larger sheep being made. The succulent is “Mexican Giant”. 

4AD73D0F-C34D-4DC2-9ACE-DD694574AF67.jpeg

16042D6D-EE5F-4C2A-9B9F-E5B33248225D.jpeg

 Daughter likes Donkey.

BF8FDD6A-28C1-4FA5-A629-446D9E658567.jpeg

3A19112A-3FAE-4940-9028-5C8A55191E0B.jpeg

 Happy Easter, got into woodwork at High School. Still have a wooden coffee table made during high school years. Origami using lolly wrappers stuck to thin card. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community @Loweja, and I'm pleased to see you've already been inspired.

We look forward to providing in-store workshops as soon as possible and are as eager to see them return as you are. I'm sure you'll find our members here are very helpful and would be more than happy to walk you through your first project. Please feel free to start a discussion anytime you need guidance, and we'd be delighted to assist.

Mitchell

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Thanks for the Inspiration James, I have recently made a sheep planter. Hope you approve.

7A4CF377-107E-4875-93AA-FBA67FBDF62B.jpeg

2A06DDEA-FBC0-4866-A64F-540C7A1AE4A0.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks sensational, @Former Workshop member, and I trust @Jamespeter100 will wholeheartedly approve. You've done a fantastic job of replicating this project, and I'm sure you are delighted with the results.

Do you have any other farm-yard inspired planters in the works?

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Hi Mitchell, thanks for your kind words. My only other project I made for our garden , meet Tommy !!

F85DEB4A-536A-42F5-BDBE-B9D7A2134906.jpeg

8C330830-32C0-4271-B1DB-C742C914F09E.jpeg

I love it, @Former Workshop member. Absolutely adorable!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects