Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Crommelin pond sealer taking long time to cure

suley001
Finding My Feet

Crommelin pond sealer taking long time to cure

hi guys I sealed my pond with crommelin pond sealer and a couple days later a part of it got a little wet I dried it up and left it for 7 days to cure when I first painted it but the part that get wet still hasn't cured will I need to coat this again or just wait longer for it to cure? thanks in advance for any help yous can give me 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: crommelin pond sealer

Hello @suley001 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. There are always factors to consider for long curing times such as temperature, humidity and sunlight. Too much or lack of these elements causes unpredictable drying times. You could artificially hurry up the process by using a fan or heat gun but it would only dry the surface and it would still be soft at the bottom. To prevent accidental water from entering your pond I suggest covering it with a tarp, make sure it does not touch the pond sealer. In these instances if it still feels too soft to the touch you may have to wait a few more days with good sunlight until the sealer cures to full strength. At the back of the can are instructions for moisture cure test. You can give that a go to test if it's cured. If there is anything else we can help you with please post it here on workshop. 

Cheers, 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @suley001. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on Crommelin pond sealers.

It's great to see the knowledgeable @redracer01 is already assisting.

Crommelin has a fantastic technical advice line, and I've always received amazing help, and my questions have been answered promptly. I'll make contact with them after the weekend to enquire about your issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

that's great info thanks mate 

cheers mate thanks for the help 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @suley001,

How's the area looking now, and has it cured at all? After speaking with Crommelin, they've suggested that the area will probably just take longer to dry. As long as the area isn't flaking or bubbling, it will be fine. If it doesn't cure or starts bubbling, you can cut the affected area out with a Stanley knife and peel it away. Ensure you dry the area thoroughly and apply two fresh coats of sealer over the cutout section.

Please let us know how you go or if you have more questions.

Mitchell

Hello, I used the clear pond sealer about two months ago and followed all the instructions correctly but my project is still not dry when put in water.

How can I get it to dry?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @THowell

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the Crommelin pond sealer.

Four weeks is a long time to wait for the sealer to cure. As I've mentioned before in this discussion, the only reason there would be a delay in the cure time is because of the temperature, humidity and sunlight. Any of these factors would be enough to delay or retard the drying time of the product.

Would you be able to post a picture of the location of the pond? This will allow our members to assess its location. We can then make recommendations on what steps to take. Has there been a lot of rain in your area lately? Has it been very cold for the past few weeks? Is full direct sunlight reaching the pond that you sealed? 

My only recommendation to accelerate the drying time of the pond sealer is to use a heat gun. However, too much use of the heat gun will damage the surface of the sealer. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your pond sealed and ready for use.

Eric

I used it to seal an ornament so it was safe to place in a fishtank.

I have kept it inside the whole time.

I even waited two weeks before putting it in water.

It wasn't dry so I tested it once a week only to have the same outcome.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @THowell,

That sounds quite unusual for the pond sealer not to have cured. I'll contact Crommelins first thing in the morning to see if they can assist.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects