Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY worm farm

chefyash
Cultivating a Following

DIY worm farm

I built my own worm farm, after moving here from NZ and giving that one away.It involves only using recyced materials and very simple and inexpensive or free to make at home.

i used 2 x10 lts food service tubs with lids( the kind u use for yoghurt or mayonnaise). The two tubs sit on top of each other , and lids for both have holes, the top on for the worms to breathe and the bottom ones for the worm peee/ juice to trickle through.

The base of the top tub should have large-ish holes too, which i made with a knife, but could be done with a mteal pipe, whcih was heated up.

to set it up is a cinch, u need some ld newspapers in top tub at the base, and some compost with worm eggs inside./ or someone wh can give you some, theres no need to buy these.

then you feed the worm farm with vegetable scraps, egg shells, newspapers , no meat, dairy , bones , onions or citrus.

The bttom tub can be diluted with water nd the liquid is a natural fertilizer.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY worm farm

Hi @chefyash,

Many thanks for sharing your instructions, I'm sure other community members will really appreciate the recommendation. It sounds like a fantastic and low-cost solution to keeping worms at home. Do you plan on building another one as I'm sure our members would like to see it in action? 

We look forward to seeing what projects you have going on around your own home and garden and trust you'll get loads of inspiration from other members.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chefyash
Cultivating a Following

Well one is enough for my balcony life but happy to help someone else build their one or give them some worms to start their farm

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chefyash,

I apologise, I misread your post and thought you gave the one you made away. Would you like to post a picture of your worm farm so other community members can see what you are describing?

If you need assistance uploading images, please, let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
chefyash
Cultivating a Following

IMG_20200606_104923.jpg

 this is a photo of the worm farm which I also use as a germination chamber

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects