Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dark brown stuff on my pot

otnimus
Finding My Feet

Dark brown stuff on my pot

Hi all, after few days of raining I noticed that some of my pots grow something that look like dark brown eggs on the soil (NOT on the plant itself). I hope the photo below is clear enough to show what I am talking about. I want to know what is this? Fungus? And how do I get rid of it? I am pretty sure it is a result of being too wet. Wonder if some exposure to direct sun light will be enough to kill it. Thank you.

IMG_20201028_081919.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Dark brown stuff on my pot

Hi @otnimus,

Apologies for the slow reply. I'm struggling to see what you are referring to in your photo. Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle to see if she might have any ideas for you. It might help if you let us know what your plant is, whether it is newly potted and what you used for soil. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dark brown stuff on my pot

Hi @otnimus,

I can see from the shadows the little brown dots are throwing that they have stalks. That confirms my thoughts that they are a type of fungus. It is most likely caused by the potting mix staying damp for an extended period of time. Do you have adequate drainage in the pot?

To rid your pot of the current fungus you might need to remove the top layer of soil and discard it. You'll most likely find with the top layer of soil removed, adequate drainage and waiting for the soil to start to dry out before watering the fungus will stop appearing.

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects