Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need drainage under the raised beds?

vineet
Getting Established

Do I need drainage under the raised beds?

E161BEEC-1FF7-472F-BBC5-E231048D19E0.jpeg

Hi

I am laying pavers and at the lower slope end is the raised beds. I am sloping pavers at about 50mm for ~3m width but I am concerned that the end of the slope is raised beds so how will water drain. After laying pavers it will come to around the height of the first level sleepers. 
question- do I need put drainage before the sleepers. 

Re: do I need drainage under the raised beds

Hi @vineet 

Maybe start with exploring the terms used for permeable pavers. When I did my research I intended to replace pavers on a side walk that can get very damp and slippery in winter. I have however found that I can reuse the concrete pavers from our old patio, so I haven't pursued this option further.

There are some impressive videos on YouTube showing how some of these pavers let gushing water pass through.

Depending on your particular situation I'd make sure that if you use this option there is sufficient depth to the roadbase underneath the pavers. 

And yes, I wouldn't use any sealing materials to enable the water to drain. The surrounding elements (sleepers, other pavers) will give your draining course enough edge support to not wander off.

Hi @vineet

That's an excellent recommendation coming from @TheHandySqirrel. Please keep in mind that soil testing might be required to see how permeable your soil is. It's also a good opportunity to ask how high the permeable system will be when placed against your house and raised garden. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vineet
Getting Established

Thank you for the advice. For now I have decided to put the drainage but the permeable pavers gave me a great idea for a side pathway. Going to do the job now:)

vineet
Getting Established

Hi all, I finished the job in January and thought I will come back and thank you everyone. The end results is probably not a professional class but good enough to get appreciation for wify...

IMG_9147.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It looks like you've achieved a wonderful finish there, @vineet, far better than some professional work I've seen. You should be very proud of your efforts!

I'll be looking forward to seeing what project you tackle next.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects