Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you know what this plant is?

tomgroves
Just Starting Out

Do you know what this plant is?

DED3E86D-FEFB-4B3B-907E-D5EC7CCD8A3E.jpeg

56AAAE04-99F9-4A6B-BF8F-684CE5809C11.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do you know what this plant is?

Hello @tomgroves

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about the identity of your plant.

Based on the flower pattern and single leaf stem configuration, it looks like a Bottle plant (Jatropha Podagrica). It was possibly named after its shape, but the origin of its name remains a bit of mystery. It's a drought-tolerant plant and is quite capable of surviving in different types of soil conditions, but it does require full sun to flourish.

Let me tag our experienced members @BradN, @Noelle, and @Adam_W for their thoughts on the identity of this plant.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @tomgroves , can't say I know anything about it but it appears to be a Jatropha as @EricL said.

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@tomgroves  What a great ID job by @EricL and @Adam_W . I've never seen one of these before (though what I don't know you could probably just squeeze into the Grand Canyon). Apparently the thick stem/trunk is quite a feature. Do you have another picture showing the trunk?

BambisLawns
Getting Established

For future questions about anything really, you can pull out your phone, go to Google Lens, take a photo of what it is and Google will identify it and give you all the info you might need 

Thanks for jumping in and contributing to this discussion @BambisLawns. Appreciate your input.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects