Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front garden design

Fonzi
Growing in Experience

Front garden design

StevieB_0-1639515070793.jpeg

I have a sad garden at the front of our house and is not very appealing to look at. I was hoping to pull it out and do something simple and tidy to suit the Sunshine Coast heat. I would really love some ideas on how to lay this out. I would like to keep the small trees and dress smaller plants around them.

Added a few photos20211207_162851.jpg20211207_162901.jpg20211207_162906.jpg20211207_162926.jpg

Fonzi
Growing in Experience

Re: Front garden design

@Toni297 

Hi, not actually sure  it was a pretty thick hedge like mess. May look ok but was pretty prickly.

We moved out once we sold this place over a year ago now so can even go check. Sorry

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let us know if you need some recommendations for screening plants @Toni297. We would be happy to assist. Just let us know what your needs are and some details about the space you have and where you are based.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Toni297
Getting Established

That’s ok thank you for replying! I’ll look for something similar 😊

Toni297
Getting Established

763D9C3C-75AE-403C-A530-26F65DF98559.jpeg

Hi Jason,

I m looking to cover my bedroom window but still allow a breeze as I live in Perth in the valley and don’t get much sea breeze at all. I was thinking of potting some golden cane palms. 
I’ve attached some pics. 

0F776DA3-24C3-4366-8E0D-33FE3F8E1442.jpeg

5B325F12-7DC8-4A78-8447-7C7FB1EF9073.png

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Toni297,

We have a great range of golden cane palms, and your inspiration images can be replicated using a Northcote Pottery 100cm Black Emmerson Trough. Here's a helpful guide on How to grow palm trees.

Mitchell

thanks ever so much for the advice. Is there a palm tree that won’t grow too tall for outdoors

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Toni297 

If you were to build a timber raised garden bed to a height of 600mm, I suggest looking at the 200mm Golden Cane Palm - Dypsis lutescens. This particular variety has a maximum growth height of 1 meter and will spread across by 1 meter as well. Judicious trimming of the palm tree will control its growth and expansion.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Re: Idea for front garden design - Sunshine Coast QLD

I think @BradN has pretty much nailed some of the best options there.
There's always the usual questions to add here like soil quality, water levels etc.

Personally I'm a fan of gardenias and if kept well mulched and watered they are pretty happy in a sunny spot. They come in a couple of different sizes too and are quite prune-able. Reward is richly perfumed flowers with glossy, emerald green, tropical-look foliage.

Those existing trees aren't going to do much for you to be honest. They've lost all their lower foliage and unless you cut them back super hard they are unlikely to fill out again.

You could consider heliconias. They can be great to give you a bit of privacy and certainly have the tropical look. Especially when in flower. Just pick one that are the right height and suitable for the spot as some prefer shade.

Toni297
Getting Established

Re: Idea for front garden design - Sunshine Coast QLD

I like those ideas also. I definitely have the inspiration I need now to build my garden in our front window. 

Thanks again everyone!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects