Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front garden makeover project

jbingham
Finding My Feet

Front garden makeover project

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate some ideas to transform our plain front garden.(photos attached)

As we are a corner block, it is not a small area with three sides fenced up. This side is south facing. There is a garden bed in the middle of oval kind of shape. It used to be a big green bush with pink flowers but we chopped it down to open up the space. We planted some small plants in it which I would like to replace with some tall green foliage (if so what kind of plants?) as they are invisible at present until you get really close to the fence.

Perhaps a garden bed along the brick wall under the windows with low shrub or pebbles? Then pavers/walkways next to it for walking around?

Would it be good idea to plant a tree towards the side of house to provide some shade / privacy / sitting area, or would it best not as in case we need side access in future?

I'd also like to hide that air con unit right at the front - but how?

Thanks very much in advance!

p.s will be painting the trim, gutter, downpipe and gable end a blue/grey colour (matching the same coour on bricks)

IMG_20191010_101355.jpgIMG_20191010_101410.jpgIMG_20191010_101505.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Front garden makeover project

Hi @jbingham,

I'm sure Workshop members would be happy to help. There's just some extra information that might assist you to get more specific advice, including where you are based, the type of soil you have, what kinds of plants you like, and also whether you are wanting a low-maintenance garden or enjoy plenty of hands-on gardening. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Being a cacti/succulent lover @jbingham, I'd be looking to fill the spaces with Aloe varieties (especially some Tree Aloes for height), Yuccas, and ideally a Dragon Tree as a nice statement piece but that'll really come down to budget. Plus a bunch of low-mid height stuff which i don't even know the names of. I'm a fan of the Mangave range at Bunnings at the moment though - Pineapple Express, Spotty Dotty and Mission To Mars.

You can get some nice garden edging from https://www.straightcurve.com.au/ in both a galvanised steel colour or rusted steel.

I think (but I'm no stylist) you should try use some blue metal rocks in garden beds to bring some new texture and colour to the space to get away from an overload of green, red, brown.

I'd suggest not blocking your side access though or at least make sure you leave enough space to get a wheelbarrow-wide (or maybe slightly more) load through.

There are some creative ways to hide the AC unit, just make sure whatever you do doesn't impact the required air flow to the unit.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Do you want to keep the lawn @jbingham

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Blue metal rock - would love to see what they look like too

I'd like to keep some lawn, landscaping will reduce some mowing which is great. What do you suggest for replacing the lawn with? Thanks 

Thanks a lot Jason. We are 20km South of brisbane. Our soil is very poor, had some veggie patch previously around the back and noticed the condition of soil.

Low maintenance would be a good aim. 

@jbingham 

Can you please indicate the size of the area. Length and width please. Thanks.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@redracer01 width (house wall to fence) is 7.8m and length (driveway to corner fence is double that, 15.6m.

Do you have some suggestions? Thanks! 

I will post it as soon as I get a chance to finish the drawing.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects