Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden bed

Justo
Finding My Feet

Garden bed

Probably a simple solution but looking into starting a vege and herb gaden. My only conditions are.

1) Has to be small, its a rental property

2) Protected from Chooks

I am in Northfield, SA

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Re: Garden Bed

@Justo 

I'd look at something like this from Bunnings @ $49 - I bought one for propagating succulents.

You can obviously wheel it around in and out of the sun (oh those 49c days!) and you can easily knock up a chook wire cage for the top if your birds flutter up that high. No bending or digging required. And you can take them with you when/if you go, plus store stuff on the shelf (that's what I liked the best!).

I lined it with pond lining and put a filtered top pvc pipe down to a bucket to catch excess water as it has a good size drain hole. Works great - thinking about a few more for veg, so I can put ornamentals in the permanent beds.

3f7746a3-b4e3-4e76-aa85-9711e4b4e133.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Justo,

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join the community and trust that you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from other members. Great to see you've already got a helpful suggestion after your first post!

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Former Workshop member 

I might try that for now until i get good at planting, then move to garden bed

If the chooks dont eat vegies or herbs I wonder if they'd be of use to get rid of bugs.

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@Justo 

Chooks will eat snails and bugs etc, but also small seedlings, and may have a go at larger leafy greens occasionally.

In NSW the Kurrawongs would regularly eat all our chilis, but not sure about chooks, lol. The local parrots get high on basil seeds, so you may want to watch that too, hahahalol... you can walk right up to them when they're like that. not sure if chooks have the same response... 

I'd suggest letting them browse through at beginning and end of season for each bed.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Garden bed

Bunnings used to sell the Vegiepod, but looks like these have replaced them. They look a little more aesthetically pleasing and are a special order item...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/vegtrug-1m-small-raised-garden-bed-natural_p0022941

https://www.bunnings.com.au/vegtrug-1m-small-frame-and-greenhouse-cover_p0022814

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@Justo @Kermit 

I like those veg trugs, but way too expensive for me, and for what it is, only my opinion. If you got time, you could build something similar... less expensive.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Justo 

If you are contemplating building your own, you'll find plenty of inspiration here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Best-of-Workshop/Top-10-most-popular-raised-garden-beds/ba-p/30584

Or simply search for planter boxes or raised garden beds on Workshop - members have shared some fantastic projects over the years. It is one of our most popular topics on the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects