Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden night critters

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Garden night critters

I recently planted some new herbs in my garden bed after a great end of year herb haul!

Over the last few nights my new herbs (mainly the coriander and lettuce) have been decimated barely leaving the stalks. I did a bit of research and I believe possums are responsible due to their eating preferences.. such  fussy eaters ha! and previous roof action from them.

20210105_150057.jpg

I'm now planning on adding some netting to my garden bed. Seems to be the sure way to deal with these critters. 

I do have a new lemon tree and strawberry bush I am now concerned about. Does anyone know if possums have a taste for these?

Regards 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Garden night critters

Hi @diy_hausdesigns,

Sorry to read about your poor plants. 

Have you seen this popular discussion? - Your tips for keeping possums away

I wonder if the ever-helpful @Noelle might know if your possums might pick on your lemon tree or strawberry bush next. I do know they like to eat our strawberries at our place! 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Garden night critters

Hi @diy_hausdesigns and @Jason 

Possums generally don't attack lemon trees although they may have a nibble at the skin on citrus fruits from time to time if there's nothing more to their liking available! They may take a bite or two, rendering the fruit inedible to humans but they generally don't chew the leaves or take entire fruits - too acidic.

They will eat strawberries (the fruits) if the birds haven't got to them first, so netting strawberries would be a good idea. Make sure the mesh is 5mm or smaller - coarser netting can snare birds and other critters and is not recommended.

Your herbs being eaten off like that may not necessarily be possums either. Depending on where you are, rabbits and/or bandicoots could also be the culprits. Even in suburbia, these animals are problematic if there is parkland or scrub nearby.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects