Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden shredder recommendations wanted

Caron
Making a Splash

Garden shredder recommendations wanted

Hello - I had an old shredder/mulcher that died and now after a new one. It is mainly sticks and leafy branches (I am a wildlife carer so have a range of foliage (nothing more than 40mm - mostly lillipilli, grevilia, bottle brush type leaf/branches) that I need to dispose of every few days).  

What is your recommendations - thoughts on the right shredder/mulcher?

TIA :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden Shredder - Recommendations

Hi @Caron,

I'd recommend the Ryobi 2400W Crushing Shredder as it has a 45mm capacity, and when there’s no load, it reduces the motor’s RPM, noise and energy use. Due to the cutting action on this machine, it's far better at dealing with leafy material than other models, though it will also power through tough dry branches. The collection bin is also a nifty feature and allows you to easily transport the mulch to your garden beds or green waste bin.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

That is the one I have, it even does palm fronds.

Why is it called a crushing shredder?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@pstq,

The blades crush the branches against a fixed anvil blade at a relatively low speed. You'll find other similar systems labelled "silent". The very noisy traditional shredders/mulchers/chippers use a high-speed disk that has a couple of blades on them. The high-speed disk variety is great for solid thick branches but struggles with leafy and fibrous material, especially palm fronds.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell - had checked out the reviews and looks good, appreciate the information.

Wonderful - thank you so much for the advice and the tips! The reviews look great will definitely look at it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects