Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Got wi-fi in your garden?

AHoy
Having an Impact

Got wi-fi in your garden?

I'm a gardening beginner so really excited about the prospect of the internet helping me to have more success with planting and growing.

I was just reading about probes that you can put in your garden that tell you the condition of the soil, what to plant and what you need to add to help make your plants thrive. There's also watering controllers now that use the internet to look at weather forecasts to judge whether the garden watering system needs to come on or not. 

Here's one product that looks really promising... Hopefully it will be available in Australia soon!

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Re: Got wi-fi in your garden?

Very interesting. I would certainly consider buying one if it was reasonably affordable. It could pay for itself if it meant more productive vegies, fruit and no more dead plants.

That's cool! Kind of takes some of the art out of it though. Not sure how I feel about that ...

Yeah I think I'm with @timjeffries. Whilst a great technology it would sort of kill off a big chunk of the fun.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I don't mind cheating. Anything that helps keep the plants healthy is fine by me. 

I am happy to push my finger into the soil to see how much water the plants need. But it's really good fun to find out this tech-savvy device.
AHoy
Having an Impact

Local lads are also trying to use technology to make growing your own food easier - http://www.theage.com.au/small-business/entrepreneur/canberra-startup-develops-visual-sensor-technol...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects