Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help/advise re backyard and deck area

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Help/advise re backyard and deck area

Hi team

We completed a pretty extensive deck and outdoor area in September last year. I'm guilty of getting it to a usable situation and then not really finishing it off.

The corner where the BBQ is now....I'm thinking of putting in some kind of "Feature screen" with some lighting and climbing plants approx 3m down the side of the deck and 3m across the back in an "L" shape. I have access to quite a bit of reclaimed hardwood ceiling joists and also some reclaimed 2m long hardwood stair treads that I plan to rip down to uniform depths and somewhat random widths and build out the feature screen. I have an idea of what it would look like in my head but I'm struggling to find examples online. Any inspiration or comments would be much appreciated. 

BBQ corner.jpg

The area where the trampoline currently is I plan to make some kind of bench seating with a fire pit in the middle and then a small basic outdoor kitchen/BBQ area against the wall on the concrete where all the kids toys are. There is obviously no end of inspiration online but I wanted to see examples of what you guys have achieved on a budget and with medium DIY skills (for reference re my skills I built the deck myself but not the flyover roof)

Trampoline area.jpg

I also want to do something with that darn ugly fence. Is painting or staining the way to go? Advise on colours, techniques etc much appreciated.

I have loads more questions but that is enough for now. Here's another few pics to give an idea. This website is a great resource by the way!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help/advise re backyard and deck area

Hi @tony1982,

It was a bit hard to tell from the pictures if there was a gap between the deck and fence. If there is space between, I would concrete in some support posts in the ground directly next to the fence and have them bear the weight. You would then be free to plant in front of it.

The plastic packers were only to keep the wall off the deck, allowing an air gap so rot didn't form at that point.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects