Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help identify grass/lawn type

jimmyjimenez
Finding My Feet

Help identify grass/lawn type

Hi guys, 

Just moved into new place first time lawn owner. Have some questions:

1. Could someone help identify what type of grass I have?

2. Also in the second photo attached,  is this a weed that is growing (thr longer stems with purple tips)? This is only found in the front lawn, the neighbours front lawn seems to have these growing as well none in my backyard lawn though.

3. What's the best thing I can do to try create a "fuller" look to my lawn as some areas looking bare? 

Appreciate any advice and help! 

Thanks in advance!

Jimmy

1. Backyard lawn

20210220_101844.jpg

2. Front lawn weeds?

20210226_111722.jpg

3. Backyard lawn

20210217_094654.jpg

20210220_101854.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help identify grass/lawn type

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jimmyjimenez. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

Congratulations on moving into your new home and your first lawn. It must be a truly exciting time for you!

I'd have to say that is Buffalo, characterized by those runners on the paver in your third image, its coarseness and the broadleaf. That's the seeds of Buffalo lawn in the second picture. Your backyard might not be seeding due to slightly different conditions.

I believe aerating, topdressing and then fertilising would be the best way to create a fuller lawn. I'd recommend Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg Buffalo Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser as it feeds for three months and doesn't burn the lawn if used according to instructions.

You should find these step-by-step guides useful:

You might also be interested in reading through these discussions-

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Help identify grass/lawn type

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your reply and helping me with my questions much appreciated legend!

I'll try out those things you've mentioned, have a great weekend mate cheers again!

J

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects