Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Holes in lawn - Gold Coast

NatFrances
Growing in Experience

Holes in lawn - Gold Coast

There are holes appearing all over our front and back yards. This happened this time last year too and they popped up everywhere and continued to do so for months. 

Does anyone know what they are?! I never see anything in them or near them, but they look like wolf spider holes so it bothers me a lot. I even went outside at night with a torch because apparently if they were spiders I'd see their eyes...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20211027_170537496.jpg

Re: Holes in lawn - Gold Coast

@brendawebster44 I'd be pretty thrilled if I had meerkats in the backyard! But no, not in Australia. Thank you anyway 😊🌼

NatFrances
Growing in Experience

@BradN @EricL @brendawebster44 @Jason @sideshowmatt Hi all. I have an update! I believe curl grubs are causing the holes!

I was digging up soil to move flowers this afternoon, and dug up a grub. It then tried to dig back into the ground, which made me think of the garden holes! It didn't make a hole going down, but my research suggests it will when it comes back up. Apparently female beetles lay eggs in the soil, and when the larvae become adults themselves they come digging their way up out of the soil.

I not certain, but I'm pretty convinced. It seems they aren't good for the yard either, so will need to try to do something about it.

But... hopefully... mystery solved!?!

VID_20220209_181812423_exported_331.jpg

IMG_20220209_181807230.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @NatFrances 

That's excellent news. It's great that you've caught the critters that have been poking holes in your garden. I suggest using Multicrop 2L EcoGrub 3 In 1 Insecticide. This one is straightforward to use just plug your garden hose on the bottle and spray it on your lawn. Please note that it is always recommended to wear personal protective equipment such as masks and gloves when using chemicals in the garden.

Just a reminder to make sure to read the spraying instructions at the back of the bottle before use.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your garden grub free.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

@NatFrances and @EricL 

Please don't be too quick to reach for the insecticide in this instance. They look like Christmas Beetle or Stag Beetle larvae and both are disapearing from Australian back yards. Both are harmless to humans and though the grubs eat roots and leaf litter they are also deneficial in a healthy yard ecosystem.

When I was a kid I remember lots of these in summer and it was a joy to find the ocasional gold or metalic green ones. This summer we saw only one on the window sill.

Gold Christmas Beetle.jpg

Stuart

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A timely and fantastic observation @Stuardo, I immediately concluded that these were curl grubs. Having had a second look, it's too soon to tell as the larvae are still in their early stages. I think we'll have to keep observing and if the larvae assume the dark colourings of the Christmas beetle larvae then we'll know what kind of grub we have.

Again, thank you so much for that information.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NatFrances
Growing in Experience

@Stuardo @EricL If they are Christmas beetles then I'll definitely leave the insecticide! I love them 😊 I just figured it was a curl grubs because it kept forming into the C Shape. I'll leave it for now and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects