Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Home made shade hoop house

Grub80
Making a Splash

Home made shade hoop house

D6C43BDC-F5FF-4EF3-B2D0-9A03DD8A92FA.jpeg

Kez1166
Just Starting Out

Re: Home made shade hoop house

@Grub80 

Hi, new here!

can you advise on how you did this?

I’m in a rental so I can’t make a permanent structure but I really need the shade so any help is greatly appreciated 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kez1166,

It looks like you might have missed @Grub80's replies which give a lot of detail about how this project was made. Have a good read of all the posts and then let us know if you have any questions. I'm sure community members will be more than happy to assist. There's also off-the-shelf alternatives like the VegePod that you could consider. 

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're rapt you could join us and look forward to seeing your own projects and reading about further plans for your house and garden.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bundaboy
Having an Impact

It's a great concept isn't it? It can be a shade house, net house, a green house, or, as I have recently done, a shelter house for things whilst I reorganise my sheds. Whether permanent, or temporary as in my case, it is a cost effective solution to many problems.

2nd year on of home made hoop house

Hi all, I’d thought to share the home made shade hoop house, in its 2nd year of operating, and learnings and any adaptions to the structure.

over winter this year, we removed the shade hoop cover and stored away for this years summer ahead. During winter I used crop protection nets for my brassicas.

grew great crop of cauliflower, broccoli and cabbages with no insect issues and no chemical sprays either!

Pulled the crop protection cover off and reinstalled the shade cloth cover, and using the same bungees brought last year, the shade hoop is all in place ready to go.

the only additions to the original structure is end uprights bolted to the raised beds and then using saddle clips attach the outer hoops for added strength. So not too many changes and generally a great way for growing in any space garden.D29BC865-6485-4A08-84AD-C3A161DD7A4E.jpeg

Our second hoop house is an upmarket version from the first. 

All the timber and supports purchased from Bunnings (of Course!)

I decided that rather than watering a small piece of lawn, we would grow vegies instead.

We started the project a few months ago. learning from our home made hoop house, the new hoop house is located in a windier part of the garden, hence the stronger frame, which was purchased online.

The full cover, I will use during the winter. and we have made another shade cover for the summer. I've just started growing the plants, so will keep you updated of our hopeful success, cheers 

FBC7261E-60BA-44F0-84F3-69B4CBAE6FEB.jpeg C60EC499-F5BA-4D4E-8AA9-4C1ECF67633A.jpeg7E4343AB-D186-4AE6-AB7E-3297BF830281.jpeg 4FA7C98F-6705-4D75-9DA5-60B605EFE971.jpeg

Wow, the hoop houses look amazing. I might try this when i replace my one (i used cheap arches) but they are on the way out now due to rusting of the thin metal. 

Thanks @Dirtbug this new hoophouse is all what I wanted. My Dad has now installed all the irrigation, so I can just snap a hose on and water the beds without having to even go inside 👍. I’ve now planted all brassicas, and installed a crop protection net in the door frame, to keep out the pesky moths, so I can leave the door rolled up, so it doesn’t get too hot. The daytime temp is around 25 with doors and windows open on the plastic. Night time temps, not really sure, but wont suffer frosts 🤞. Good luck with your gardening cheers, Leanne 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

This is brilliant 😊

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Dirtbug. Please let us know if you build your own - we'd love to see it. 

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. Don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects