Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How Can I Get Rid Of English Ivy?

Bantam
Growing in Experience

How Can I Get Rid Of English Ivy?

The neighbor over the back fence has got English Ivy growing and I am forever trying to stop it invading my yard. It grows under, over and through the fence and is even popping up between my pavers. I've tried a few things both chemical and organic but so far nothing stops it.

I have a dog so I need a pet friendly remedy. There is also a ringtail possom living in the shrubbery so I don't want it harmed either.

Bantam
Growing in Experience

Re: ANSWER - How Can I Get Rid Of English Ivy?

G'day BibbyKat

I have tried a salt and vinegar and there was a third ingredient which I can't remember. It was good on 'normal' weeds but no good on the ivy.

I will try your salt and hot water remedy.

Re: How Can I Get Rid Of English Ivy?

@Andy_Mann wrote:

her 180mm+ son

@Andy_Mann, was he much taller than 180mm? If not, I can see why you weren't intimidated. 18cm is pretty diminutive.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Have to be careful of ankle biters, they are also a tripping hazard.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Great stuff @Jackson, I gave your post an immediate like when I saw it, had a good laugh at myself, then forgot to reply, & just as well.

At the time, I remember think'n yeh, noth'n like be'n out by a factor of 10.

Even funnier, or more embarrassingly, I've only just now figured out that it was a factor of 100. :shocked:  :embarassed:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects