Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I get rid of brown patchy lawn?

Benjie91
Building a Reputation

How can I get rid of brown patchy lawn?

20220915_143653.jpg

 I have fertilised this lawn and it is still patchy? How can I get the lawn to be lush and green please??

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How can I get rid of brown patchy lawn?

Hi @Benjie91,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and we trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful community.

So we can assist you with specific advice, can you please let us know what type of lawn you have and where you are based?

You might also want to share a few more photos as from that photo your lawn is looking relatively good - it just looks like it has been mowed too low.  

Once you've shared some more information I would be happy to tag some of our resident lawn care experts to assist you. There's also loads of helpful tips in this article - What are your tips for keeping your lawn healthy?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Benjie91,

I'd agree with @Jason that your lawn is looking quite healthy. I suspect it's still just emerging out of dormancy and will begin to green up now that the weather is warming. If you've fertilised, it has all it needs, and I'm sure you'll see some significant growth and a lush green lawn shortly.

Mitchell

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Honestly, just give it some more time @Benjie91 . It sounds like you've done the correct steps getting it to this stage, and as @MitchellMc said, it's probably still in its dormancy, just don't cut it too low when it's time to mow, I usually set my mower 2 settings higher when my new lawn gets to the stage you're at. 

Remarka6le
Benjie91
Building a Reputation

Thanks, I will cut it higher from now on!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Benjie91

Please keep us updated on the health of your lawn. If you still don't see any changes in several months please don't hesitate to let us know. 

Eric

Benjie91
Building a Reputation

20220925_155451.jpg

 lawn has improved since mowing it higher,thankyou  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looking good, @Benjie91! Once it greens up entirely, you'll likely be able to drop down another height level if you'd like it a bit shorter. However, you never want to cut it so short that you expose the underlying brown stalks of the grass. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects