Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I keep Blackbirds out of my garden?

Oldfart
Having an Impact

How can I keep Blackbirds out of my garden?

I've been tryting to grow mulberries, strawberries, apricots, plums, figs etc. for a number of years. Sadly, due to blackbirds, I'm lucky to be able to harvest 10% of anything.

Can anyone tell me how to keep them away short of killing them, which I won't do?

RuthKerr
Growing in Experience

Re: How can I keep Blackbirds out of my garden?

Does Bunnings have appropriate pipe to make a frame for netting? Also, do you sell black netting, or only white?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RuthKerr,

Electrical conduit is commonly used to create these hooped frames because it is a flexible but rigid pipe. Its connectors also make the joining of multiple hoops a simple process.

We now only carry white bird netting as we removed the black netting from our range several years ago. Concerns were raised about birds inadvertently flying into it and getting stuck, as it was not visible to them.

Check out @Grub80's amazing Garden shade hoop house made from electrical conduit.

I quite like the idea posted above by @bergs about using an inexpensive portable gazebo frame. You could remove the standard cover and throw your bird netting over the top of it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RuthKerr
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for all the helpful information, Mitchell.

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

birds

You are more than welcome to borrow my Charlie. No not him indoors my shin-Tzu. He would work for nothing but I don’t believe in slavery.What about a battery or mains scarecrow of him indoors. Or make the wee birdies watch an episode of the bold and the beautiful. They will be so engrossed they will forget to eat 

RuthKerr
Growing in Experience

Success! I bought 4 x 4m medium duty PVC 20mm conduit @ $3.54 each for each tree.
Also 1m galvanised steel pipe (16x1.2mm) at $3.70 each for each tree, to make 4 ‘stakes’ to support the conduit.

My son used an angle grinder to cut the pipe, with angled cuts for the ends going into the ground.

Purchased 4 x 10m Econetting anti bird netting at $30.98 each. Hopefully enough to cover.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds great, @RuthKerr! I'm sure our other members, considering a similar project, would appreciate seeing what you've accomplished if you'd like to share it with us.

Mitchell

RuthKerr
Growing in Experience

I tried several times to upload a photo, but it didn’t work…

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Feel free to email the image to workshop@bunnings.com.au, and I'll add it for you, @RuthKerr

Mitchell

RuthKerr
Growing in Experience

Thank you.

RuthKerr
Growing in Experience

BIRD.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects