Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can we improve water clogging in the backyard?

mukeshkaura
Growing in Experience

How can we improve water clogging in the backyard?

Hi there, hope you all are doing very well! We have moved countries (that too from apartment living) to regional Victoria (small green backyard). I feel guilty of not providing enough care, sorry but I have never done this in my life. But, I would love to give a go, if there are any experts who can suggest some improvements. The challenge is that water gets clogged in the backyard, it has a drainage already, but it rains a lot here. Is there anything we can do to make a little better? Thanks so much for your help! Take care everyone and stay safe!Backyard.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can we improve water clogging in the backyard?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mukeshkaura. It's brilliant that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question on backyard drainage.

You might like to let our helpful members know what type of drainage is already installed, as they'd then be much better placed to advise on a solution. When you say the water gets "clogged", is there standing water in the yard more than 24 hours after rain or is the area just constantly wet? Do you happen to know if there is a defined clay layer?

I'll be keen to hear more details and offer advice on how you can solve the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for the speedy response Mitch - appreciate it

On you questions

1) The lawn continues to stay wet/clogged even after 24 hours. Sometimes, it stays soggy even it hasn't rained for a while

2) Attached, picture of the drain

3) Sorry, am not sure about the defined clay layer

Thanks so much to you and this amazing community!

MukeshDrain_1.jpgDrain_2.jpg

@mukeshkaura,

It sounds like you might need to install some draincoil under the soil to remove what the single drain isn't able to. The drain on the right isn't doing anything to remove surface water as it is too high, and the drain on the left might be at soil level, whereas the water is sitting below its rim. Check out how Ben added drainage to fix his muddy lawn. If the lawn is saturated with water, there might be a clay layer that the water can't penetrate, allowing it to drain freely. If the water can't flow away, it will sit there, causing this sogginess. Adding the draincoil is likely a good solution to the saturated soil.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Mitch, this is incredibly helpful. Also, we have realized the lawn is uneven as well. I think we have to find a short term solution first, given we are entering the summer months. And, then a permanent one. Have an amazing day ahead! Thank you!! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects