Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I grow herbs in Melbourne conditions?

Pcan
Growing in Experience

How do I grow herbs in Melbourne conditions?

I want to grow the following herbs in pots on my deck that is covered or can be kept outside.

• Thyme
  • Basil
  • Rosemary
  • Coriander
  • Mint 

Outdoor in a reasonable-sized pot or drum.

• A potted curry leaf tree, which I can grow to about 1.5 m.
  • A potted Asiatic and a Mediterranean bay leaf tree, 1.5 to m.

Questions:

1. Do these grow in Melbourne/Vermont South 3133 climate?

2. Can I get saplings or seeds at Bunnings?

3. Please suggest pots for herbs and young trees.

4. What is the potting mix best for them?

5. If I were to grow them in a plot is the local soil condition favourable?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I grow herbs in Melbourne conditions?

Hello @Pcan

Thank you very much for sharing your question about growing herbs in Melbourne weather conditions. The best time to plant thyme, basil and rosemary are in spring when the threat of frost has left. Coriander despite its feathery look, is best planted from mid to late Autumn through to early Spring. Depending on when you plant it, it will flourish in the cold of winter through to late Spring. Mint on the other hand usually does best in the more temperate autumn and spring weather.

The curry leaf tree can technically be planted any time of the year, but I suggest planting it in spring. I would recommend the same for the Asiatic and the Mediterranean bay leaf tree. If the temperature trend for Melbourne for last year stays the same this year, your herbs will definitely grow in your location.  

The saplings will be subject to availability, but the seeds are always available at the store. In regards to the curry leaf tree and the others, it all depends on what their current sizes are when you purchase them. If you plan on planting them into a plot, it's best to prepare the soil so that it will have a lot of nutrients for the tree to use.  

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I grow herbs in Melbourne conditions?

Great information, @EricL   It is still a little chilly in Melbourne to sow seeds or plant seedlings outdoors but by mid September the weather should be about right!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects