Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I secure beams and joists to corner posts for veggie garden?

Kalinda
Just Starting Out

How do I secure beams and joists to corner posts for veggie garden?

Good afternoon, I hope somebody can assist me with my project.

I'm about to erect a freestanding ( to be enclosed) veggie garden.

The area will be 9 metres x 12 metres with 20 90 x 90 tp posts 2.4 high and 3 metres apart secured with stirrups concreted in the ground

I'm going to brace the posts with 3 metre lengths of 140x 35 tp, recessed into the posts and secured by bolts (with nuts and washers).

My problem.... how do I fix the 3 metre lengths to the corner posts,  I would have already drilled 2 bolts into one side of the post, and now I'm attempting to drill 2 more bolts from another side of the post as I continue around down the next side of he structure?

Also, in relation to supporting the internal posts, do I simply use joist hangers at a different height to secure the 3 metre lengths?

I hope someone can help me, and I thank you for your time.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I secure beams and joists to corner posts for veggie garden?

Hello @Kalinda

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to secure beams and joists to corner posts for a veggie garden.

It sounds like a very big veggie garden. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area and the holes that you have already drilled in the post? This will give our members an idea of the layout and provide you with a comprehensive recommendation. What kind of bolts did you purchase for your project? Will you be covering the frame with a sunshade fabric? 

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects