Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you treat weeds in a garden bed?

curo123
Growing in Experience

How do you treat weeds in a garden bed?

Hi there,

Our garden bed has a liquidambar tree and a few different trees within. The ground is covered by these plants that have a soft leaf. Are these weeds? If, so what would be the best way to treat these, so they don't return?

I hope you can help.

IMG_9818.JPGIMG_9819.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you treat weeds in a garden bed?

Hi @curo123,

Plant ID apps are coming up with Periwinkle, Vinca major L. It's typically considered an invasive weed in Australia, though was originally introduced as a ground cover. One of the best ways to treat them so they don't return would be to apply a weedkiller like RoundUp. Make sure to wear long-sleeved pants and a shirt, gloves, safety glasses and a face mask whilst spraying.

Let me mention one of our horticultural experts @Noelle to see if she can confirm or deny my identification.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do you treat weeds in a garden bed?

Hi @curo123 

Looks like Mitchell is right - periwinkle.

His recommendation for control is spot-on too. It is safe to use on the weeds even though they are on the ground under the trees - so long as the foliage on the trees is not sprayed, it will not affect them.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects