Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to Treat a Weeping Cherry in a Pot with curling leaves

GaryArmadale
Finding My Feet

How to Treat a Weeping Cherry in a Pot with curling leaves

Hi,

I live in Armadale, inner south east of Melbourne.

I have a weeping cherry snow fountains prunus about 1 metre tall in a pot.

I have had it for 3 weeks.

Initially the new leaf shoots were yellow. In the last couple of days, in addition to new yellow leaves, some leaves are shrivelling up/curling up, other leaves are going brown and dying whilst other leaves are going yellow. Something is eating the leaves.

Any suggestions for fixing this ?

Also advice on how to water it ?

Regards

#

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Treat a Weeping Cherry in a Pot with curling leaves

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GaryArmadale. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Is there any chance you could upload some images of the plant for us, as it would be much easier to diagnose issues if we could see it?

How often have you been watering it and is it located in full sun? 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @GaryArmadale,

Just checking in to see if you need a hand uploading those photos so @MitchellMc and other community members can help diagnose your tree's issues.

Let me also tag the wonderful @Noelle to see if she might be able to offer some assistance based on your description.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @GaryArmadale 

Yellowing of new leaf shoots may indicate lack of nutrients in the potting mix.  An application of a liquid or water soluble fertiliser for shrubs and trees will provide instantly available food while adding a controlled release, long term fertiliser will ensure ongoing feeding for the next 6 months or more.

Yellowing may also be symptomatic of the roots being too hot in a pot, especially if the pot is standing where it receives full sun for most of the day. Shrivelling and browning of leaves may be due to the roots over-heating as well as lack of water.

Move the plant to a spot where the pot at least is fully shaded, water regularly to the point where excess is running out the drainage holes, and check potting mix moisture every day or so to ensure it is never really dry.

As soon as the weather cools a bit in autumn, either plant the weeping cherry into the garden or repot it into a much larger container so it has a greater mass of potting mix around its roots.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects