Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a chook yard fence?

AlleynThomas
Just Starting Out

How to build a chook yard fence?

I have a section in the garden between 2 sheds that has veggie gardens in it. I would like to fence it off and put some chickens in there. It has to be dog proof so that the dog does not disturb them. I was thinking picket fence but not sure how to go about it,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: chook yard fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AlleynThomas. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a picket fence.

You might like to read through these helpful step-by-step guides:

An alternative to creating a timber picket fence might be using steel fence frames. They could be connected between the sheds and pickets attached to them. These fence frames also work well with the gate frames, which will allow easy access to the area.

I'll be looking forward to following your project, and please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: chook yard fence

Hi @AlleynThomas , to completely dog proof, don't forget to ensure that they can't dig under the fence. If that area is vulnerable to digging you could either dig down and create a barrier below ground level, or lay slabs around the perimeter, with most of the slab on the outside, so they are quickly put off trying to dig at the fence. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects