Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a concrete round raised garden bed?

atb90809
Finding My Feet

How to build a concrete round raised garden bed?

Hi,

I'm trying to create this round raised garden bed for a feature tree in my front yard. I've seen people use large cut concrete pipes to do this but I was wondering is there a way that I could form this up and pour it ourselves. What type of form work could I use to get the curve(1-1.2m diameter) and height (approx 30cm)

Thankyou ☺️

Screenshot_20231220-155148.png

Screenshot_20231220-155526.png

  

Screenshot_20231220-155133.png

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a concrete round raised garden bed?

Hi @atb90809

What you are proposing is really a double circle to hold cement while it is setting so this  will be very hard to do  to make it even and parallel and also add reenforcing steel into the  pot design a must  for strength.  Getting the double pipes might be a  challenge too.

My  best solution  for such a  huge circle is to pour a  round slab  100mm to  150mm  thick  using  corflute as form work as it is  flexible and cut able and joinable to make a large circular form work for a slab. Its natural curvature as you  wrap the two ends to meet each other and over lap will be a  very  good circle give or take a bit. Now add pegs every 50 cm to the outside so the shape dosnt move /bulge.

Then use bricks to form the circle of the garden wall. I know bricks arnt curved  but they will lend themselves to a multi sided curve. to the minds  eye it will be round.

I make curved  walls out of  bricks use this photo as a guide to possible results. Its a garden wall not intended to be symetrically round shape for this garden.

Curved marble  and besser garden wallCurved marble and besser garden wall

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @atb90809,

You could potentially use 3mm plywood to create your circular formworks, but even at a 1200mm diameter, I think you'll find the plywood will crack while trying to achieve that curve. I think @Jewelleryrescue is on the money with the bricks. You could achieve circular sides if they were to be mortared in place on their ends. You'd then be able to render over the bricks to create a smooth circular surface.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

We were able to achieve the curve with the ply. Hosed it down a few times to get the bend, but it worked 🙌 We are finishing it with a render for a Mediterranean feel with an Olive tree being planted.

Thanks for your help!

PXL_20231228_085542111.jpg

PXL_20231226_041002474.jpg

PXL_20231227_062450737.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work, @atb90809; I'm very impressed indeed! My wife and I love the Mediterranean look, and an olive in the middle will look amazing!

Thanks so much for sharing your results. Great work!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects