Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a garden statue plinth?

Johnboy
Just Starting Out

How to build a garden statue plinth?

I want to build a plinth to go under a heavy stone garden statue.   I am thinking to do that by using form ply made into a box about 500 high 400x400 and filling with concrete.  Questions.  Will Bunnings cut the ply sheet into those sides?  Also if I use standard premix bagged concrete mixed quite wet it should hold up alright, yah reckon?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden Statue Plinth

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Johnboy. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your questions.

I'll reach out via PM to get additional details on your local store so I can verify that they can cut the Formply for you.

Standard Australian Builders 20kg Quick Set Concrete would be perfect for your project. I'd recommend you consider adding some reinforcement mesh to ensure that your block of concrete doesn't crack. I would also advise you to follow the directions on the product as to how wet the mix should be.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Johnboy,

Many thanks for the additional details. Your local store does offer a cutting service for Formply, and they would be more than happy to cut it to those sizes for you.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Johnboy 

Just to add to @MitchellMc 's suggestion. Possibly put in some exposed U bent rio bars to allow you to attach ropes for pulling and carrying the cement plinth.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects