Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wicking bed

Maursie
Cultivating a Following

How to build a wicking bed

it all started with a large cleared area in my small backyard and the purchase of an "L" shaped Raised Garden bed.Wicking1.jpgWicking2.jpgwicking3.jpgWicking4.jpgWicking5.jpgWicking6.jpgWicking7.jpgWicking8.jpgWicking9.jpgWicking10.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a wicking bed

Wow, impressive work @Maursie. What a fantastic project and a brilliant way to introduce yourself to the Workshop community. I'm sure your wicking bed will earn plenty of admirers and that you'll get loads of questions.

I'm curious about whether you have planted in the bed as yet and whether you've seen any great results so far compared to a standard raised garden bed which you need to hand water regularly. We've had some members sharing pictures of their harvests recently on this discussion - What to do in the garden in March.

Thanks again for sharing. I'm really looking forward to seeing more posts from you soon and trust that you'll also get heaps of helpful advice and project inspiration in return from other members of our amazing community here at Workshop. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maursie
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Jason, no plants yet as just finished but have seeds already to go and worms for farm. Watch this space..........

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries @Maursie. We will be keen to get regular progress updates. 😁

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Thanks again,

Jason

Natty5676
Just Starting Out

This looks awesome! As for potting mix did you use bagged mix from Bunnings or buy from a garden centre? If from Bunnings which one did you use? I’ve got mushroom mix for my potted veggies, was thinking of using the same thing in my beds?
Thank you  

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Natty5676. Let me tag @Maursie for you so they are alerted to your question. 

There's been a lot of interest and discussion on the site recently about raised garden beds and what to use to fill them. You might find some of these discussions useful:

Welcome to the Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration from our members. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Many thanks,

Jason

Iri
Just Starting Out

Love the wicking system - I use the tubs (always in Bunnings Kaikohe & Whangarei) as its easier-to-manage (zero digging) & for its mobility...

Also deep irrigation systems for fruit trees to reduce water consumption. Great content - thanks!! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Iri. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

I trust our community would be very interested in seeing your setup if you'd care to share it with us. 

We look forward to hearing more about and seeing the projects you have going on around your home and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community. 

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Oh how great is this !!!!! Can’t wait to see it planted up and growing 🌿💚

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Maursie,

Hope you are staying safe and well. 

Just wondering if you could provide an update about this very popular project with the community? It would be great to see the bed all planted up and read about your plans for growing and harvesting plenty of produce over the warmer months ahead. 

Please let us know if you need anything.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects