Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wicking bed

Maursie
Cultivating a Following

How to build a wicking bed

it all started with a large cleared area in my small backyard and the purchase of an "L" shaped Raised Garden bed.Wicking1.jpgWicking2.jpgwicking3.jpgWicking4.jpgWicking5.jpgWicking6.jpgWicking7.jpgWicking8.jpgWicking9.jpgWicking10.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a wicking bed

HI @MrCee

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

If you're drilling through steel, I suggest using a Bi-metal Hole Saw. These hole saws are rated for drilling through mild steel, timber, and plastic. 

When choosing the size of the pipes, it is often based on the size of the raised garden bed. You'll notice that in the first post the raised garden bed used is The Organic Garden Co 150 x 150 x 41cm Zincalume L-Shape Raised Garden Bed. It is 410mm tall and the pipe used looks like a 90mm stormwater drain. If you were to use a smaller garden bed a smaller pipe set would be needed. Using a large pipe set would take up too much space and there would not be enough soil for the roots to grow in. 

Pipe height is roughly based on the size of the garden bed. The majority of the wicking beds I've seen online have a pipe height at least twice the height of the raised garden bed. I suppose this is done for convenience and guarantees that no soil will enter the top of the pipe.

Are you building your own wicking bed? Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects