Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose between 18v battery power or 2 stroke line trimmer?

oldun
Finding My Feet

How to choose between 18v battery power or 2 stroke line trimmer?

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide between battery or 2 stroke choice for a line trimmer, or even 4 stroke,  as I already have the Ozito 18v system for my power tools and find it does a good job Ozito appeals,      my real concern is can a battery powered grass trimmer handle my horrible kikuyu grass ??,   any replies appreciated

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to choose between 18v battery power or 2 stroke

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @oldun. It's marvellous that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

The Ozito PXC 18V Grass Trimmer Kit would be fantastic for maintaining a reasonably well-kept lawn. I have one and am pretty impressed with how well it manages to get through my buffalo lawn. The biggest benefit is that it is a light-weight machine. If you are happy with doing 25min worth of cutting and then putting the battery on charge whilst you have a break and a cup of tea, then it could be a good choice. My wife chose it as she wanted something manageable which is always ready when she wanted. 

There is a substantial difference in power between the lighter-weight 18V line trimmers and 36V line trimmers and petrol machines. 36V line trimmers and petrol machines have at least twice the power of the 18V machines. All of them are fine for maintaining a well-kept lawn but the more powerful units excel with thick longer grass that needs to be cut into shape. If you let your grass grow out for several weeks during spring/summer, the 18V units will have trouble cutting it back into shape.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Michell,    although I have 18v batteries I'm thinking now at least 2 stroke for this tuff kikuyu grass.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I believe you'll be delighted with your choice of a 2-stroke line trimmer @oldun. The level of power they supply will be more than capable of getting through your tuff Kikuyu. My recommendation in that range would be the Ryobi 25.4cc Easy Start Curved Shaft Line Trimmer. It has an easy start operation, making it a breeze to get going and is compatible with the Expand-it range of accessories, making it a versatile tool around your garden.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

sav006
Growing in Experience

Hi @oldun 

I have Kik and my Ryobi 18V brushless trimmer and it is more than adequate for our backyard. Nothing too heavy duty to deal with but has plenty of guts to do my edging too. Will take 3/4 or most of the 4ah battery depending on how long I've left it between mows. 

The other advantage to consider is less fumes and oil/fuels to mix and worry about. 

As soon as my victa petrol mower is done, I'll be looking at a battery one to shift all my outdoor gear to battery. 

I know some are concerned with the power vs traditional petrol engines, but I've heard/read plenty of good stories for battery powered gear but highly depends on your situation. Also I don't know how the Ozito would go, but my 2 cents, I would suggest consider other brands for outdoor gear for what it's worth. 

Good luck. 

- Giving it a go, one nail at a time
hutchjnr
Getting Established

My thoughts/ experience is almost identical to @oldun regarding the line trimmer or "whipper snipper" as I still refer to it!

I have a Makita (non brushless from memory) though, so would have the same advice. They definitely have enough power for what almost any normal yard requires, are much more convenient and comfortable (weighing so much less than petrol variants). I think most of us guys question the battery power over petrol especially when it comes to our lawns, but after making the switch I can't talk highly enough of it... Not sure I can do the switch with the mower though! 😂

I already had Makita power tools and batteries, hence why I went Makita (And yes I am aware that is their business strategy! 😋 Damn bastards, keep sucking me in to buy another tool so I can "use the batteries"! 😂 
I am very wary of Ozito as I have only bought two of their products and they were both fails, one of them a massive fail! I bought an Ozito pole pruner a few years back, lasted about a week. It failed on about the third use!
Anyway, in general battery power is definitely powerful enough for normal edge trimming, just an issue of reliability/quality IMHO.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hutchjnr. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for contributing your experience with battery-powered tools to the discussion.

It's always great to hear feedback from members that have used the tools. It took me a while to warm up to battery alternatives, but their technology has progressed leaps and bounds over the last ten years. Soon I do not doubt that they will out power the petrol alternatives.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for those projects from within the community as our creative member contribute their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects