Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix these steps?

SN
Growing in Experience

How to fix these steps?

I moved here last year, these steps are not fit for purpose unless you are over 6 feet tall.

any advise on how to change them would be appreciated.

the steps are made of limestone covered in concrete, as you can see from the photo it is starting to break down. I can’t bring them forward as it is on the boundary.

5BFC5C56-48D0-41D6-9E80-94BE0E46101C.jpeg

Tread widths

Top down 26cm

1st step  width 37cm

Down 26cm

2nd step width 35cm

Down 27cm

3rd step width 40cm

Down 29cm

4th step width 37cm

Down 26cm

5th step width 40cm

Down to ground level

sloping 0 to 15cm

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix these steps?

@SN 

I do not know what the general height and depth of a step is (I know I have a bunch of different sized steps like yours tho)

Your reference to 6foot height makes me think the steps are high for easy stepping. I just googled "Stair height Australia" and this was the first off the bat.

"In Australia, riser heights should be uniform across the flight and should fall between 150mm and 180mm. The nosing of each tread should generally not extend more than 30mm beyond the riser" (Outside steps can be different yet again)

I was going to suggest maybe to remove the stairs and redo so the heights are consistant but think I get where you are coming from now. Can the steps be removed and taken further into the soil to allow a resonable step height over a longer distance?

Dave

SN
Growing in Experience

Hi Dave,

I posted step sizes. Eager to learn of any ideas, had wondered about cutting out and reforming ?

Tread widths

Top down 26cm

1st step  width 37cm

Down 26cm

2nd step width 35cm

Down 27cm

3rd step width 40cm

Down 29cm

4th step width 37cm

Down 26cm

5th step width 40cm

Down to ground level

sloping 0 to 15cm

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@SN 

Have you got a photo of the area behind the steps? Only way I can mathematicaly think of making the step height not so great is to go further into the soil area behind the steps. You say the steps are made of limestone? They look like my old steps that had mortar over them and ended up having bessa blocks underneath the thin layer of concrete covering them. The reason I ask is the amount of work involved in removing and putting new ones in would change. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SN 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your concrete steps.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I'm in agreement with the recommendation of either re-doing the steps or creating more space so that your steps fall within the parameters of Australian standards. The National Construction Code indicates a riser distance between 115mm to 190mm max with a step width of 240mm to 355max.  

However, I also suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council just to be on the safe side, they might have other requirements when building steps.

One other option I recommend is removing the steps all together and using a Stringer H3 Treated Pine Suits 5 Tread. It does come in a bigger size if you need more steps and a longer distance. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SN
Growing in Experience

Photo of the top of steps looking downPhoto of the top of steps looking down

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SN 

Thanks for posting that extra photo of your steps. If the bottom step is the boundary, then the repair would have to begin at the bottom on that first step. All the old concrete would need to be removed in order to correct the step and riser distances. 

Once all the old concrete is off, I suggest taking the measurements of the limestone and building formwork at the correct height and distance. The formwork will serve as the frame for the new concrete cover. Once the concrete cures the formwork can come off and you then paint and seal the new concrete steps.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SN
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric,

I don’t think reconcreting  will work as the same limestone blocks are beneath.

Because the steps are old limestone blocks I think I will need to cut them back and put another form of steps over the top.

Still thinking. Thanks

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@SN 

I was trying to work out the steps yesterday (Thought I had the answer wrong) I redid the calculations and came up with the same answer just now.

From adding up all your step heights I have ended up with 1490mm height of existing steps.

From adding up the depth I have come up with 1890mm

Step width for how to fix steps.jpg

So at 180mm per riser to get to 1500mm its 8 steps (the top one is the top ground level)

and if you go 270mm depth per step it should go into the land by 1890mm (multiplied by 7 as the top step is ground level)

That means you may have enough room in that space you already have but with a smaller depth of step and a smaller height? Its doing my head in trying to nut it out lol. But the sketeches of how i work it out really solidifys what I want to do.  

Does it make sense what I have shown?

Dave

SN
Growing in Experience

Many thanks Dave,

it makes perfect sense to me, I assume that it would require plates fixed to the wall either side with a strong tread across.

now I just need to find someone to help me.

once again thanks

Sue

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects