Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of bindies from the lawn?

missedout
Cultivating a Following

How to get rid of bindies from the lawn?

My dogs get covered in these burrs, which then get into the house, they seem to be virtually impossible to get rid of. I recently planted some shrubs, which so far seem to be doing well, & was advised not to plant grass seeds until Spring - is this the right advice - I'm no gardener, just want the place to look less barren, & to get rid of these burrs.    missedout.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I get rid of never- ending burrs, which seem to attach themselves to everything?

Hi @missedout 

I suggest giving your dogs a short haircut, this means that there will be less entanglement with their fur. I also recommend using a WeatherBeeta 25cm Pink ComFiTec Classic Dog Coat or similar. This will at least lessen the number of burrs attaching themselves to your dog's body. 

The only other thing I can suggest is using a Purina Total Care Slicker And Detangle Rake. This will straighten out the dog's hair allowing you to brush away the burrs.

Please keep in mind that if you decide to use sprays or creams on the dog's hair to make sure that it is pet safe. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Remarka6le, @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get rid of burrs from the lawn?

Hi @missedout,

What sort of burrs are we talking about here? If you can take a picture of them, then I can identify what they are and recommend a suitable lawn treatment to remove them. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

The most typical burr/seedpod found in a lawn would be bindies, or there's another one called burr weed that can also be a nuisance. However, I would have thought we were a bit early in the season for those. 

If we can identify the weed and if you can let me know whether it's mixed throughout the lawn or just in clumps, then I'm sure we'll be able to get it under control and your pups free from these annoying fur tanglers.

Typically it's best to wait until the weather starts warming up a bit to try and germinate grass seeds, but we are not far off that!

We're keen to assist and look forward to further details.

Mitchell

missedout
Cultivating a Following

Sorry, forgot to say these burrs are called bindies, they are all over the whole back & front 'garden'.  Many thanks for your help.

Hi @missedout ,

Bindi is a fairly common weed in many lawns but is easily treated with the right product like Hortico 2L Bindii Killer Hose On. Just make sure to keep your pups and any children off the lawn until it the product has fully dried. Also remember to wear any PPe specified on the packaging.

As I mentioned earlier, bindies would typically start popping up around spring, and you wouldn't typically see their burrs formed until late spring/early summer. So, these could be last year's burrs still hanging around. If that's the case, then applying weedkiller now might not achieve much. However, at the first sign of the bindie plant growing, apply the product. A second application might be needed if there are residual plants left. This will kill off this year's plants and prevent the burrs from forming. In the following years, you'll likely need to do further applications until you get the bindies right under control and rid your lawns of this weed.

It's an easy process, but it will just take some time to see the results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

missedout
Cultivating a Following

BindieBindieBindie  (taken in laundry sink to show up)Bindie (taken in laundry sink to show up)Same as 2nd oneSame as 2nd one

missedout
Cultivating a Following

I showed photos of bindies, taken in my laundry sink, so they would show up more clearly than all over the grass.  missedout.

Definitely bindies @missedout. They are fully dried so likely from last year. As per my response above, at the first signs of the bindie plant growing this year apply Hortico 2L Bindii Killer Hose On.

Mitchell

missedout
Cultivating a Following

Many thanks for the help, Mitchell.  Missed out.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects