Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of bugs on Lilly Pilly?

sper
Building a Reputation

How to get rid of bugs on Lilly Pilly?

IMG_4122.jpeg

Hi everyone, I have Lilly pillys in my front and backyard and they have some weired pimples on thier leaves. I can see the black bugs behind those leaves, but not sure what to do.

please advise me some trick or spray that I can use to get rid of those bugs.

please see attached pictures.

IMG_4121.jpeg

sper
Building a Reputation

Re: lilly pilly has some bugs on it

I also have an indoor Dracena (happy plant) which has those white bugs on it, I have tried Neem oil spray on it several times but they just don’t go away, plz advise me on that as well, thanks 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @sper This is a common insect problem that attacks Lilly Pilly. They are called Psyllids. Tiny little insects that rasp and suck, causing the pimples. 
The attack the new growth. It’s best to prune back first and put it in the bin, not leaving it on the ground or the compost. 
Then give it a thorough spray, you can use your Eco Neem oil , also, Baythroid Advanced is really good too. 

With your Dracaena, when you have time, could you please share a  couple of photos so we can see what is going on. 

When spraying, please make sure you wear the appropriate Protective Gear - Mask, gloves, long sleeve shirt, glasses. 😊

sper
Building a Reputation

When you say prune, do I have to prune these new growths or I can just go spraying without pruning. Thanks 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Sorry yes pruning back the new growth and then spraying it 😊 @sper 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @sper,

It's great to see you've received some excellent advice from one of our gardening experts, @mich1972. I agree that would be the best approach.

Looking forward to seeing those images of the Dracaena.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sper
Building a Reputation

Hey @mich1972

I went to prune but figured that’s not an option as the whole of the plant (they are 6) is affected and if I prune I think I will be left with only main trunk standing. So help

me find a spray that can help. Thanks

BTW image of my Dracena is attached.

IMG_4129.jpeg

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @sper  looks like mealy bugs but not sure from the picture. I’m going to tag @Noelle to get her expertise on this. If it is Mealy bugs you will need to spray. Eco Neem Oil is a good one to use. 😊🪴

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@sper 

Yes, I would agree that it is mealy bug on your dracaena. @mich1972 's recommendation to spray with Eco Neem would be my advice too. This looks like but is different to the pest on your lilly pilly.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Just to confirm, @sper, I believe the suggestion is you can use the Eco Neem Oil for the issues on both plants.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects