Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to give my garden a makeover?

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

How to give my garden a makeover?

Can I please get some advice for how best to get the following done in my garden. 

Below is a photo of my backyard and mock-up for what I think I want done.

1. I am thinking that I might need to reinforce the fence behind the seating, to construct raised beds. Thoughts?
2. Cutting the concrete tiles to shape should be easy enough.

3. I’m still working out if I want real or artificial grass. Neither sound particularly attractive to me and I would almost prefer something like a grass and micro clover combination. I want to be able to lie on the ground and enjoy it. My garden gets a decent amount of sun but I’m wanting it low maintenance. Is there something that’s nicer than buffalo grass 

4. Any other suggestions for how to construct various aspects of this garden?

Any recommendations/suggestions for specific people who could help out, or recommendations for materials would be  very much appreciated!! I’m located in Thornbury area 🌞

IMG_0728.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice for garden

Hi @carpedion

First of all, your garden has great potential, and I think your mock-up looks fantastic! 

Here are some suggestions for how you can best achieve your goals:

• If you plan on building raised beds against the fence, I suggest you build stand-alone beds instead of relying on the fence as the backing. Your pailings are not sufficiently treated for soil contact and are not strong enough to support the weight of wet soil. They'll decay quite quickly and bow out towards the neighbour's side. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide on How to build a raised garden bed.

• If you plan on cutting the concrete tiles to shape, ensure you have the right tools for the job (such as a tile saw or angle grinder). Be sure to wear appropriate safety gear, such as eye protection and a dust mask, as cutting concrete can create a lot of dust and debris.

• Consider a mix of fine grasses if you're looking for a low-maintenance, sun-loving ground cover that's not as coarse as buffalo grass. Lawn repair mixes include fine-leafed varieties that grow quickly. Low-growing plants such as mondo grass would also be an excellent option.  This can create a lush, textured lawn that requires less water and maintenance than traditional grass.

• Premium varieties of synthetic lawn are now far superior to what was on offer for many years. It comes with a longer bladelength and is relatively soft to the touch, it also looks very realistic.

• When constructing your garden, make sure to use high-quality materials that are suitable for outdoor use. For example, if you're building raised beds, use treated timber that can withstand exposure to the elements. Consider using organic soil and compost to ensure that your plants have the best possible start.

• If you're not confident in your DIY skills, consider breaking the project down into several steps and ask our helpful members about the best way for you to tackle the project. Alternatively, you can look towards services like Hipages to enlist the services of a professional.

You might like to read through this helpful guide on How to plan a garden makeover.

I look forward to following along with your project and seeing your results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects