Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve the drainage near the fence?

ppp
Having an Impact

How to improve the drainage near the fence?

Hey All,

As shown in pics, water puddles are forming between the concrete and fence due to rains. What can I do to improve the drainage or stopping this happening?

Thanks In Advance.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 2.31.55 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 2.31.54 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 2.31.52 PM.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve the drainage near/under the fence

Hi @ppp 

Your plan looks to be in good order. I suggest speaking to your plumber and see if they have any other any extra recommendations. My only other suggestion is to prepare yourself for the possibility of concrete cutting. This is on the off chance that the drainpipe is either too deep or is in the wrong position.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ppp
Having an Impact

@EricL  @MitchellMc 
Regarding Agi pipe installation under the fence:
The space under the fence is going to be really tight for Agi pipe installation.  Where the posts are there, the width of the space is 120mm & the other space is 180mm. So, I can only dig the trench of width 120mm but that is not going to be sufficient right to cover 65mm Agi pipe?
I read that it should be around 200mm to properly cover Agi with drainage rock. Also, all posts have covered with concrete that may come in my way of trench.

120 & 180 fence.jpg

Do you guys have any suggestions for this problem?
The good thing I see here is, as this is not garden area to walk-on then I can simply somehow fit Agi pipe and just cover it with drainage rock? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The width of the trench only needs to be as wide as the pipe @ppp, so 65mm. You'd also need to dig down at least around 100mm so you can add drainage gravel over the top of the. The deeper the better, so you can easily establish a slight fall on the pipe from one end to the other.

The reference to 200mm might be for the depth, as I don't see any need to follow a hard and fast rule of 200mm wide. Even with the 65mm width of the trench, any water build-up will flow straight into it.

The concrete footer for the post might be an issue. Perhaps do a little excavation to see how they will impede the pipe's installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

@EricL  @MitchellMc   
I started digging for trench under the fence at the same time I thought would do an explorative digging and see whether I can find stormwater pipe in the backyard so I can connect to it. To my surprise I found a pipe.

Attaching these pics here - got two questions if someone help me, please. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-10 at 3.12.49 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-12-10 at 3.12.49 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-12-10 at 3.12.48 PM.jpeg

1) How can I be sure that it is Stormwater pipe only? 
The first image clearly shows the name as "20510 Vinidex BEP PVC ...LONG LIFE RECTCYCLABLE PVC..."

2) I tried to test it by holding a water hose in the gutter pipe (highlighted yellow in the second image) and in the storm water point right under the taps (highlighted red in the third image). In both cases I did not hear/feel any water movement through that pipe.

Do you guys have suggestion regarding that pipe and testing whether gutters, taps storm water point is connected to that or not ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ppp,

If it's a 90mm diameter pipe, it's likely stormwater and connected to the downpipe and that inspection outlet. If it's 100mm, it's most probably a sewer line. 

Mitchell

Edit: I've just checked, and Vinidex 20510 is 90mm stormwater pipe. So you should be right to connect to it.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @ppp 

Looks like that second pic with the yellow markings is heading towards your downpipe.

One way to hear things I have used is a flat head screwdriver held blade down against the pipe and then ear against the rounded end of the screwdriver. Get someone to tap the downpipe hardish and you may be lucky to hear something. Sounds strange but does work :smile:

@As @MitchellMc  says 90mm pipe is probarly going to be stormwater (I installed 100mm for mine :surprised: mmmm ) The other part that tends to make me think of stormwater is how shallow the pipe is. If it was sewage then it should have been a lot deeper. 

You could always take the head of the hose off and then feed it downwards down the downpipe and then guestimate the distance to the pipe in the ground?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects