Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve your lawn this Spring

fedecz
Budding Contributor

Re: How to improve your lawn this Spring

Hi there everyone, thanks for all the good tips found here, 

i’d like to share an image of my small lawn with some annotations I’ve made. 
Pre-COVID , I found tons of black beetles Which I treated successfully (A couple of times per instructions) as I haven’t seen any more ever since. However there are some serious patches to remind me of that. And I’ve got something else growing instead.
Three quarters of the lawn are mostly shaded during autumn-winter, which makes the soil very wet and never dries completely. 
The red area is a high traffic one with us walking over there a lot, which I know doesn’t help with the situation.

by reading previous answers in this post, I’ve noted:

- weed and feed during this time of the year (never done that before)
- seasoil does not replace feed.
- slow release feed is preferable 

- rake it

- don’t mown too low.

Any other advice? 
cheers!!

C7928615-C4D5-4F85-8D3F-A803944468A1.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve your lawn this Spring

Hi @fedecz,

There is some great advice in this thread and it's fantastic to see you've taken the time to read through it. To mirror some of it, you should start by giving the area a good rake over to remove any thatched lawn.

Next, you should remove cores with a Cyclone Tubular Steel Lawn Aerator. Do this when it is somewhat dry or the lawn might turn to mud. Spread Bastion 20kg River Sand over the area and rake it in so it fills the cored holes. This will allow surface water to drain down and hopefully keep the sogginess of the lawn to a minimum. If this is a continuing issue you might like to consider adding some agricultural drainage line and gravel next to the path to divert trapped water from the area.

To finish you can add 5 -10mm of Hortico 25l Lawn Top Dress Mix over the area and disperse Scotts Lawn Builder 8kg All Purpose Fertiliser with a fertiliser spreader. Coming into next spring if you don't see the lawn filling back in, it might be worth re-seeding with the type of lawn you currently have or a lawn repair formula.

Please let me know if you would like further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects