Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay synthetic turf on real grass?

Irenicus
Finding My Feet

How to lay synthetic turf on real grass?

Hi, hope you all are well and safe.

I would like to install synthetic turf on the existing grass but not sure it is feasible to put it directly over the grass ? I looked through the posts regarding the installation of synthetic turf but cannot find the answer. Do I require to remove the grass first before put the installation ? My plan is to mow or trim the grass first, then apply the landscape paver sand to level the area (my area is 8m x 4.7m). I am not going to hire the large machine to flatten the area because i am just a newbie in DIY, finally will put the synthetic turf after level the area.

May I have your advice please,

thanks in advance 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lay Synthetic turf on real grass

Hello @Irenicus

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about laying synthetic turf on real grass.

Your idea of mowing the grass is exactly what I would recommend. Put your mower on the lowest cut setting and remove as much of the grass as possible. I suggest using the GRUNT 2m x 20m Black 100um Builder's Film, Handy Roll to cover the area. Use the Whites Wire Mesh Fence Anchors - 20 Pack to keep the Builders Film in place.

Once you've laid down the plastic you can now put the Brunnings 20kg Landscape Paver Sand. I suggest using a Saxon Top Soil Spreader to spread the sand evenly. It sounds like a great project, any updates you can provide while laying it down would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay synthetic turf

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for getting back to me Eric and the provided information is very useful. If you don't mind, can I ask you one more question ? I know I require to compact the area as well before to lay the synthetic turf to avoid sifting sand, any tool recommended to do the compact ?

Another one is the black builder's film handy film, if this put on top of the soil and cover by artificial turf, can the water or rain still be penetrate down the soil ?

Thanks and stay safe.

Sure, once I start my project, I will post the picture to keep you guys updated, thanks again

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Irenicus,

We have the Trojan 205mm Tamper since you would like to do this by hand. Alternatively, there is the option of hiring a Small Compactor for 4 hours.

@EricL might like to follow up on your question about using the builder's plastic. Another option would be to use weed matting which will allow rainwater to penetrate through it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Irenicus

I suggest going with @MitchellMc's excellent suggestion of using weed matting as this will let the rain through. I recommend trying your hand with the Small Compactor. It will make short work of the compacting process for the base of your artificial turf. If you need further assistance with this project, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks again Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects