Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level a lawn?

rc1
Finding My Feet

How to level a lawn?

I would like to level the lawn and fix all the patches of dirt. What’s the best way to do this?

Also, if I wanted start again and lay turf, how could I get rid of the old lawn without it growing back?

thanks

6C1F8A6D-E105-470E-9239-CABC0D00A5BB.jpeg0159D2A8-63E1-4D1E-BCBA-9B58DFEB9691.jpeg290C8163-804F-4D40-9DB3-568C4F1021AD.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to level a lawn?

Hi @rc1,

To start, your lawn looks quite compacted, which is likely why the patches are dying off. I'd suggest picking up a lawn aerator and going over the area to open it up. Lawn aeration allows water, oxygen and fertiliser to get where it's needed and helps promote root growth. Next, you should add a 15mm layer of topsoil over the lawn and spread it with a rake to level the surface. Once you've prepared the area, the Buffalo lawn will be encouraged to infill the bare spots. You can also use seed repair mixes to help speed up this process. Please be aware that these seed mixes are typically thinner-bladed grasses to your buffalo and will look different. The other option is to use turf or to start again.

To start again, it'd be best to kill the grass that is there with a product like RoundUp. After a week, you can rake out the dead grass and prepare the lawn as above for your new turf. Please remember your PPE when using RoundUp, including safety glasses, gloves, a vapour-rated face mask, a long-sleeved shirt and pants and enclosed footwear.

You might be interested in reading through these helpful articles: How to repair a lawn and How to detect lawn problems.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to level a lawn?

Hi @rc1,

I trust you found Mitch's advice helpful. 

Let me tag one of our resident lawn care experts in @Adam_W to see if he can add his thoughts to the discussion.  

Personally, I would be following Mitch's advice to repair rather than starting from scratch as most of your lawn looks pretty good. Some TLC could have it looking amazing. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects