Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a shade cloth cover for the veggie patch using poly pipe and fittings?

Hobbies46
Just Starting Out

How to make a shade cloth cover for the veggie patch using poly pipe and fittings?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make a shade cloth cover for the veggie patch using poly pipe and fittings.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Hobbies46. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

How big is the veggie patch you wish to cover? If it is a medium to large patch, you might be better off using electrical conduit as it has a thicker wall and is more rigid yet still flexible. Polypipe, although rigid when cool, becomes soft and will droop with heat from the sun. To see the conduit in action, check out @Grub80's home made shade hoop house. They go into quite extensive detail about joining the conduit and how they fixed the shade cloth in place.

Once you've read through that discussion, please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to make a shade cloth cover for the veggie patch using poly pipe and fittings.

Good Morning Mitchell

Thank you for your reply and info.

I have checked out the hoop type structure and it looks very secure and stable.  Are there any benefits to this shape of shade, as opposed to a rectangular construction? 

The back area of my Unit is not very large - mainly pavers, so I garden with pots and troughs.

The plan I have (!!) has these dimensions - 

Length    1.5 m

Depth      1 m

Height     1.5 m

Using poly pipe and joiners - adding pipes with 3 way joints at base and central risers with support uprights for stability.

I would not be able to fit the 3 m lengths of pip in my Getz car, and if the Team Member was unbale to cut the pipe to required length for me, I could use 1 m, pre-cut piping and use couplings, and cut to suite the dimensions?

I hope this is clear to you!

Regards

Lynne

Hi Lynne (@Hobbies46),

Arcs or hoops are very structurally sound. As you are creating a relatively small structure, using the rectangular approach would be suitable. After some time, you should still expect the 1.5m lengths to droop if they are unsupported midway. However, this shouldn't be detrimental to the integrity of the overall structure.

Using smaller lengths is always an option, though I would hope a helpful team member will be able to cut the longer lengths down for you. Please let me know if you run into any issues, and I would be happy to contact the store to help arrange this.

Your plan sounds fantastic, and I can't wait to see what you've come up with.

Mitchell

ChloeThomson
Getting Established

Re: How to make a shade cloth cover for the veggie patch using poly pipe and fittings?

Hi @Hobbies46 here are some photos of the set up I have for netting in my garden currently - you could easily do this for shadecloth instead. I love using the D hooks attached to the garden beds - the conduit or piping then slides in easily. Add little hooks on the sides of the bed too to hold the shadecloth down tightly and to stop it blowing away. 

Cheers

Chloe 

IMG_0864.jpgIMG_0866.jpgIMG_0867.jpgIMG_0868.jpg

Re: How to make a shade cloth cover for the veggie patch using poly pipe and fittings?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ChloeThomson. It's an absolute pleasure to have you join us!

I love your simple and elegant take on this project. I've always been a huge fan of conduit and saddles as it is just so easy and quick to set up. Do you have a preference between the conduit and poly pipe? I've always presumed poly pipe would be suitable but have never had the opportunity to receive feedback from anyone on its effectiveness. I've suggested it a few times when the width of the bed meant that there would be an extreme arch, and I felt the conduit could kink.

Many thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see what you'll contribute next.

Mitchell

Hello @ChloeThomson 

Please allow me say how amazing and ingeniously straight forward your solution is. Where Mitch and I would have used over a half a dozen fittings you've simply solved by changing the angle of the flexi hoses. I am so humbled by your idea, please allow me to give you my DIY cheer that I give for fantastic builds. Huzzah!!! I will remember this and you can be sure I will use it in my next garden!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks Mitchell! 

I probably prefer the poly pipe, because it is more flexible! Not sure on the thickness of the stuff I use....I'm guessing 19mm but I will check for you. 

Cheers

Chloe 

Thanks Red :smile: 

I love it how different people come up with different ideas - glad mine has been helpful! 

Happy gardening! 

Cheers

Chloe 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects