Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make sturdy wooden edging?

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

How to make sturdy wooden edging?

I am in the process of redesigning my back yard. My goal is to make really strong and sturdy wooden edging which won't warp. I had some edging in this home when I moved in and if the timber was 2cm thick that's probably being too kind and the stakes were short, small and pretty pathetic. It warped and completely dislodged within 12 months. 

I have now manually edged my lawn to the shape I want it(see attached pictures) and my plan is to use 50mm thick treated pine sleepers for the edging and possibly some timber posts cut to 500mm in length for the stakes to solidly hold the sleepers upright in the ground  and for a long time. 

I will need to join sleepers together at 90 degree angles as i turn corners and also join sleepers in straight lines as some of my lengths are over 4M long. 

Could I ask for some advice on:

1) the best material to use when joining 2 sleepers together in a straight line and at 90 degree angles(I was thinking a timber post could be used but there may be something better to achieve this?)

2) which timber screws would you recommend for this project?

3) any other advice you have for me would be most welcome as I am handy but have never done this before.

Thank you. 

20221006_182604.jpg

20221006_182559.jpg

20221006_182554.jpg

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

Re: How to make sturdy wooden edging?

@MitchellMc do I get the posts in the ground and into position and concrete before securing the sleepers to them or get the posts into the ground in position, secure the sleepers to the posts and then concrete? Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Posts are first set in concrete, and then the sleepers are attached to them, @Ifckop5

Have a look through this guide: How to build a retaining wall. I'm sure you'll find it helpful.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc thank you. I watched that video yesterday and then again now and it did help.

What I might do is get the posts all in the ground first so I can see exactly the length of sleeper needed between them, and then ill get the sleepers cut to size. Sound good?

I guess that was my biggest concern with concreting before securing the sleepers.

Really appreciate your help again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a plan, @lfckop5😀 

Mitchell

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

Brilliant. Thank you Mitchell. Pictures to be sent in due course. 

I shall now leave you in peace and once again express my gratitude for all the advice. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Elton 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No worries at all, Elton (@lfckop5)! We're here to assist!

I look forward to seeing your results.

Mitchell

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell @MitchellMc 

Do you think the H3 treated pine 150x25mm cut to 500mm lengths would be suitable as posts to support the 200x50mm sleepers? The plan is to have them cemented every +-1.5m .   Please see below images.

Thanks. Elton 

16652688726244393550101980789677.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

H3 treatment is only suitable for above-ground use and will rot in-ground, Elton (@lfckop5). You need to use sleepers or H4-treated posts for anything under or on the soil.

Mitchell

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

Ah thanks Mitchell. All good. Will definitely use H4 timber. Thanks again @MitchellMc . 

lfckop5
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc  i landed up getting these screws as the ones you recommended only came in lengths too long for the 100mm total thickness of panels I'll need to get them into

16652712029697840353185717261558.jpg

I am using the sleepers for posts too so total thickness will be 100mm. 75mm screws will be good to join the posts to the edging right? I didn't want to go 100mm screws as those may go through the entire thickness.

@MitchellMc Could I also ask if painting the posts and edging will assist in preventing warping? I plan to paint with a good exterior paint in monument colour

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects