Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to nuke agapantha?

PN
Having an Impact

How to nuke agapantha?

Hello All 

After some advice on what is the best way to get rid of Agapantha. Whipper Snipper wont make much of a dent. So what gardening tool can slash this? Also to get rid of the roots what sort of chemical is ideal with out poisoining the soil?

Thanks and hope the topic is relevant for this forum admin. 

2021 AGP Photo 1.jpg2021 AGP Photo 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Nuke Agapantha

Hi @PN,

I'd suggest cutting it all back with hedge shears and digging out the roots with a shovel. You can use the Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush to kill anything you can't dig out. It's convenient as you can fill it with Yates 1L 490g/L Zero Weed Killer Super Concentrate and paint it on the plant. This will stop it from penetrating the soil.

If you can manage to dig out the whole plant, you might find someone who would be interested in taking them for their own garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PN
Having an Impact

Re: How to Nuke Agapantha

Thank you so much @MitchellMc Mitchell. Very helpful.

Thanks

Partha

PN
Having an Impact

Re: How to nuke agapantha?

After NukingAfter Nuking

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PN

Thank you for posting that photo update of your garden. Let me tag @MitchellMc to make sure he sees it. What are you planning to put in the new spot? Will you be putting regular turf on it? If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

We look forward to seeing your garden repaired.

Eric

PN
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL many thanks; Yes after some advice and information of what can be put noting it is near the patio base and thinking of something that would not too much watering. Would be grateful for ideas/suggestions. Thanks Partha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PN 

I suggest repairing the area for the moment using Sir Walter 0.5m² DNA Certified Soft Leaf Buffalo Turf Slab. This will prevent erosion when heavy rains come and keep your garden pleasing to the eye. When the time comes to plant a nominated plant, you can cut into the turf and still keep a nice look as you will not have any bare spots. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your garden area patched.

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

PN
Having an Impact

Many thanks @EricL . With the Sir Walter product I checked nearby stores( I am in Warragul, Victoria) and no store seem to have it. Is there a alternative product that you can recommend? Many thanks Partha

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PN

I'm sorry to hear that you could not get any turf. Your other alternative is to use Scotts Lawn Builder 1.4kg Seed & Feed Couch Lawn Seed. Seed & Feed Couch is a blend of couch and annual rye. The rye is included for fast greening and to provide a protected environment for the slower germinating couch seed. Let me make some inquirys for you and find out what the status of the turf is at the store.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

PN
Having an Impact

Many thanks @EricL. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Partha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects