Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent flower buds from falling off Hibiscus plant?

balaji27
Having an Impact

How to prevent flower buds from falling off Hibiscus plant?

Hello Team,

Need your advice. I have a Hibiscus plant and the flower buds are falling off before blossom (may be due to wind, not sure). Is there a way to prevent the buds from falling off from the plant?

Thanks

Balaji.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to prevent flower buds from falling off Hibiscus plant?

Thanks for your question @balaji27

Tagging our wonderful and knowledgeable members for their thoughts: @mich1972 and @ChloeThomson 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

IMG_3848.jpeg

IMG_3849.jpeg

Good morning @balaji27  I always use Sulphate of Potash regularly, it will promote, strengthen flowers and fruits. This will help the flower buds to hold on longer. I use it about every 4-5 weeks through the growing season 😃

Thanks a lot @mich1972  for your prompt response and advice, much appreciated. I will buy and apply this one.

Just a question - it is mentioned in the pack that sulphate of potash decreases the acidity of the soil, will this affect certain plants that requires acidic soil?

Thanks,

Balaji.

Following the directions, you should be fine @balaji27, watering it in thoroughly. 

Sure, thanks @mich1972 .

rachael_wilson
Getting Established

Hi Balaji27,

A common cause of flower drop on hibiscus is from an insect called Thrip. Might be worth taking a closer look at the flowers and checking that too.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects