Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect fruit trees from the wind?

Shadow23
Getting Established

How to protect fruit trees from the wind?

20230621_171453.jpg

I am using left over "moth cloth" to create a wind guard tied around chicken wire and held with stakes. I saw it on ABC gardening. They used shade cloth. Can anyone comment on which would give better wind protection. Shade cloth or moth cloth? I include a photo of the Bunnings product.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to protect fruit trees from the wind?

Hi @Shadow23,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined us and thank you for asking how to best protect your fruit trees from the wind. Our resident D.I.Y. expert will be online later this afternoon, but I'll check with our knowledgeable members @mich1972@Noelle, and @Jamespeter100 if they have any suggestions.  In the meantime, I suggest having a read of this thread Help! How to protect fruit trees from wind.  

We look forward to seeing the solution you decide on. Should you have more questions along the way please reach out, we are always here to help. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Shadow23 This set up looks ok. For stronger support to your trees, using 3 metal star pickets around the tree - secured with a rubber tie wire will help too. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shadow23 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @mich1972. I totally agree in using star pickets to reinforce the the netting. If the moth cloth is rated for outside use, there should be no issue in using them to protect the trees from the wind. As I'm sure you're aware, it's better to let some of the wind through rather than totally blocking it off. 

A solid barrier tends to create a vacuuming effect that would prove more harmful to the plant. If you've run out of moth cloth, it's perfectly alright to use shade cloth for the remaining trees.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Shadow23 

Staking, using a trio of star pickets and rubber tie wires will work just as well as the shade cloth/moth cloth protection, especially as the tree grows taller than the existing shelter.  Staking can remain in place until the tree is larger and has developed s strong root system that anchors it firmly and will resist strong winds.

Shadow23
Getting Established

Thanks so much for a quick response. I will need a wind shield forever I think, not just staking initially for strong roots but I get strong salt winds which rattle the leaves. I'll think about their future growth and height later. Cheers to the community

Sarah

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects