Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair Sir Walter Buffalo lawn?

Sakthi
Finding My Feet

How to repair Sir Walter Buffalo lawn?

IMG_8284.jpgIMG_8287.jpgIMG_8289.jpg

My Landscaper installed the lawn in Sept 2023, it's been 4 months still I couldn't get this going. I tried all yates, weed killer and seasool etc nothing worked. Kept watering daily but no luck. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair Sir Walter Buffalo lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sakthi. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Buffalo lawn.

It appears that your new lawn did not take well at all. If adequate water was provided, I suspect the ground was poorly prepared. The soil looks quite compacted. If this was a new build, then the soil there was likely low quality. To correct that, you'd need to aerate the soil and add at least 50mm of topsoil so the roots have something of quality to grow into. You don't have much height to work with there as any additional soil will be piled up against the fence, so I recommend you hire a lawn corer and give the area a good going over before mixing in some topdressing. Once you've aerated the area with the corer and improved the mix, you can follow this guide: How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc so do I need to remove the turf and do the corer and top dressing?

Or just Corer and top-dressing? 

Can I use this for top dressing - https://www.bunnings.com.au/scotts-lawn-builder-25l-organic-lawn-soil-topdress-underlay_p3010199

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It would be best to remove the dead grass that is there @Sakthi. You might have the best luck with a metal-tined rake. If there is some residual grass left there, it's fine to cover over.

The coring is going to be the most important part here to open up the soil. If you just add topsoil over the compacted soil, you'll likely be in the same position and the lawn will struggle.

That's also a suitable product for top dressing.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

So Step 1: remove the dead grass with metal tinked rake 

Step 2: Lawn coring 

Step3: top dressing

Thats it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's it, @Sakthi.

Mitchell

No new turf needed yeah? @MitchellMc Sorry for asking too many questions. 

Or do I need to lay some seeds?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Questions are perfectly fine @Sakthi! Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, you'll need to lay new turf as what's there, especially on the left, is all but dead.

Unfortunately, you won't find Sir Walter Buffalo seeds readily available, so turf is the way to go.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects