Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive nature strip lawn post-construction?

Jack4
Just Starting Out

How to revive nature strip lawn post-construction?

Hi everyone!

New home owner here with a fresh build. Our nature strip has been somewhat destroyed by a skip and building material that occupied the nature strip for much of 8-9 months. Just looking for some suggestions on the best course of action is from this point in time. Photos attached below of the initial state with dead grass and concrete.

lawn1.png

Currently I've raked and shovelled a lot of the building materials/stones and contaminating materials from the top of the surface, leaving an "okay-ish" looking soil. I'm hoping it's salvageable from this point and not a complete replacement of soil etc.

Any updates regarding soil/seed/fertilizer options would be great and for reference we're in the south east Melbourne area. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive nature strip lawn post-construction?

Hello @Jack4

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to revive your nature strip lawn post-construction.

Congratulations on you're new home! Due to the amount of time that the grass has been under the construction materials, I recommend preparing the site for new turf. I suggest using a Trojan 4WD Compact Fork or similar to till the soil to aerate it. Remove all visible weeds and large stones. The thickness of Sir Walter 0.5m² DNA Certified Soft Leaf Buffalo Turf Slab is around 40mm.

I suggest removing some of the soil and transferring it to another part of your garden. This will let you lay the new turf at the same level as the old turf. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing a photo of your new house and your turf repaired.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay turf

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Caitm8
Getting Established

BA515C99-60FB-47FB-9287-DCDB1DB88B0C.jpeg

I bought patch repair lawn seed and a spreader and did my entire backyard after having gravel spread to level it. The top photo is after a month. 

2C5405EB-E161-41C1-8A42-758A339A8289.jpeg

Before:

9A812AA5-2BDA-4EB9-8BEE-A8761D10D456.jpeg

. Just make sure it’s kept wet. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Caitm8

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your knowledge about reviving the nature strip lawn.

Let me tag @Jack4 so that they are made aware of your suggestion. Did you have to make any special preparations for the ground before spreading the Munns Professional 1.1kg Quick Fix All Lawns And Patch Repair Premium Seed Blend? How often did you water it during the day? Any tips and advice you can share about your project would be much appreciated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects