Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save this tree from dying?

joy18
Getting Established

How to save this tree from dying?

What do I need to do with this dying tree? 

I am new with gardening - need help.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-25 at 9.55.05 AM.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to save this tree from dying?

Hello @joy18

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about saving your tree from dying.

Can you please tell us a little bit of history about the tree? Was it always like this or did this recently happen? Was there any chemical spray or application made near the area? Was there any digging made around the tree? Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the bottom of the tree and its main trunk with the leaves spread out of the way?

It's necessary to see the condition of the tree so we can tell if it has been infested by insects, chemically harmed or perhaps a third cause that we can't see. This third cause is often either underwatering or overwatering. The more information e have about what has been happening around the tree, the more we will be able to diagnose the cause of its illness.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
joy18
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response.

I have few of these trees, and only 1 with this disease, however the rest looks like going to follow ? Please see attached photos. there's a cat from neighbors that love to visit, but i don't think it's the cause of it. different tree looks green outsidedifferent tree looks green outsideinside start to get dyinginside start to get dyingbottom of different treebottom of different treethis the best photo i can grab from the desease treethis the best photo i can grab from the desease treebottom of the desease treebottom of the desease tree

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @joy18,

I don't believe your other trees are necessarily suffering from the same issue. It's common for foliage that doesn't receive sunlight to die off on most plants. The browned off concealed foliage looks quite normal to me.

Damage to the roots can reflect directly on the foliage above. My best guess is that the roots are waterlogged on that side, and the foliage above is dying off. What's the drainage like in that area? Is the soil constantly moist on the side where the foliage is browning?

Let me mention a few of our expert members, @Adam_W, @Noelle and @BradN, to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

joy18
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

normally if it's rain, i don't water them. otherwise every night, the sprinkle water will do it for 15 mins, and i also run the water for soil 15 mins twice a week. do I need to do both everyday now? and with the damage tree can it be saved? any advise on what step I need to do apart from watering them? Thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Are you on the East coast of Australia by any chance, @joy18? If you are anywhere near the Sydney region, you shouldn't be watering at all at the moment. The soil here is completely sodden, and many established trees are dying just because of the amount of water in the soil. Any additional watering will soon start killing your trees. Your watering regime would be considered fairly intense and only really suitable for the peak of Summer. In the cooler months, you'd only need to water once or twice a week at most, not every night

I'd advise you to only water if the top 5cm of soil becomes dry. Stick your finger in the soil, and if it feels damp, do not water it at all.

Mitchell

joy18
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

I am in sydney region. 

Today is sunny and no rain. The soil is damp, so I will not water the soil until next week.

How bout just watering from the sprinkle water, do i do the the same for a week, they just can receive it from morning dew?

Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @joy18,

Established plants can survive just fine without water for several days. Most established plants can survive on just what they get from the rain. There is no need to water plants every day unless it's the peak of Summer. 

Don't water on them at all until you feel the ground is dry for the full length of your index finger. I'd recommend you completely forget about watering them at all at this point of time. I'm in Sydney, and there is not a single plant in mine or my neighbour's yards that require any water at this point. The soil literally can't hold any more water in it, and there is plenty for your plant to find. 

Mitchell

joy18
Getting Established

Thank you Mitchell. Much appreciated for your help.

More question to come :). Gardening become fun now.

hi @joy18 
It is normal for many of those conifers with very tight foliage to have all of their internal leaves die off. Nothing to worry about there.
If there is just one that is dying off then could be a few things. @MitchellMc may be correct with that one plant being waterlogged but also as @EricL mentioned... it could be insect attack such as borer digging into the trunk. A wee bit hard to tell from the photos.
A good measure to take that will help if it waterlogged is to apply Anti-Rot. Just totally soak the plant and the soil with it mixed to the correct rates.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects