Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal crushed rock walkway to prevent weeds?

Udesh
Getting Established

How to seal crushed rock walkway to prevent weeds?

Hi Team,

We have a crushed rock walkway alongside our house that's becoming overrun with weeds, making it look messy. We're considering sealing it to prevent weed growth, but we're hesitant about concrete because it would require removing a layer of crushed rock for thickness. What alternatives would you suggest?

Thanks

20230303_093103.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal crushed rock walkway to prevent weeds?

Hi @Udesh,

What preventative measures are you taking to avoid weed growth? Are you spraying any residual weed killers? Provided you protect your vegetation whilst spraying, applying a path weeder could prevent weed growth for up to 12 months. Using a garden sprayer, the application should only take 30 minutes.

Just to clarify, are these weeds the large plants growing out from the right and left-hand sides? If so, poisoning them would be the most effective method of stopping them from growing across the path.

If you do not want to prevent the weeds with sprays, you could look at laying pavers, provided they don't raise the level up above your brick's dampcourse line.

Here are some Ideas to revamp your side yard for inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @Udesh 

I dont know of anyway of sealing crushed rock I am afraid. however if you raked the path evertime you mow it would stop the weeds from getting to be anything other then small seedlings. Its a nice looking path and looks like it would handle being raked without damaging the base of it.

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just to add to the suggestions made @Udesh, I would consider temporarily removing or moving the rocks and pegging some weed mat down before reinstating the rocks. Will help reduce the number of weeds sprouting.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects